Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of these forums are not controlled by people that could make good magistrates. Understatement. :lol:

I was in a discussion where reasons of banning posts were discussed. I won't go through all the rigmarole but I suggested that "Jap" is derogatory to any English speaking Japanese. I gave Wikipedia as a reference and was told that the 'star chamber' had decided that mainly from people who 'lived there' ... it wasn't a big deal.

Well sorry to inform you it IS a big deal. Any business person dealing with the Japanese in Australia is usually trained on the cultural differences and any actions/words etc. that they may find offensive. Guess what... "Jap" is around the top. I was a consultant that travelled to Japan for a large Australian Bank (fifth in the world),

The STORM IN THE TEACUP STARTED when a post of mine was removed as if it was going to incite a Ku Klux Klan gathering. I don't take to kindly to racism of any kind especially having experienced it myself. Removing the post to placate the duller thinking crowd IS a big deal.

This forum better hope that Alfa Romeo doesn't take off in the US because a lot of American 'Japs' are going to make you eat humble crow if they come here.

As it is I'm going to do the only honorable thing and topple on my sword and commit hari-kari. :cheese: TA TA Sayonara.

·
Super Moderator
85,951 Posts
Some of these forums are not controlled by people that could make good magistrates. Understatement. :lol:

I was in a discussion where reasons of banning posts were discussed. I won't go through all the rigmarole but I suggested that "Jap" is derogatory to any English speaking Japanese. I gave Wikipedia as a reference and was told that the 'star chamber' had decided that mainly from people who 'lived there' ... it wasn't a big deal.

Well sorry to inform you it IS a big deal. Any business person dealing with the Japanese in Australia is usually trained on the cultural differences and any actions/words etc. that they may find offensive. Guess what... "Jap" is around the top. I was a consultant that travelled to Japan for a large Australian Bank (fifth in the world),

The STORM IN THE TEACUP STARTED when a post of mine was removed as if it was going to incite a Ku Klux Klan gathering. I don't take to kindly to racism of any kind especially having experienced it myself. Removing the post to placate the duller thinking crowd IS a big deal.

This forum better hope that Alfa Romeo doesn't take off in the US because a lot of American 'Japs' are going to make you eat humble crow if they come here.

As it is I'm going to do the only honorable thing and topple on my sword and commit hari-kari. :cheese: Bye
Another Self Terminator :HEADBANG:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So PT14 ... why have you put your car as "Jap Crap" ???

Are you trying to be offensive :confused:, it seems you must be as you earlier say in your post :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think PT14's main problem was that he decided to take everything anyone said to him as offensive and get defensive and post huge rants, :lol: I use his name-sake in past tense as I'm assuming he isn't coming back???? :confused:

Alot of his posts gave me a good laugh, but I think he was caught up in his own little world where everyone was against him rather than the reality of no one really giving a shyte, :lol:

It happens every now and again on this forum, not sure why, I just come on here for a laugh, I don't need to get caught up in racism debates and whether or not we should be nice to the Mito drivers, :lol:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Shame you feel that way PT14. Our rules and methods have served us well which is why we are today one of (if not the) largest alfa Internet communities in the world.

Obviously you have decided to leave us, if you are having difficulties in self-terminating please do drop me a PM and I will fix it my end.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
By the way, being a good magistrate is NOT one of the qualities required for becoming a forum moderator!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It happens every now and again on this forum, not sure why, I just come on here for a laugh, I don't need to get caught up in racism debates and whether or not we should be nice to the Mito drivers, :lol:
:mad: Whats wrong with MiTo drivers :rant:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Those that are touchy are normally touchy because they feel inferior or have something to hide..
.probably the reason that the Japanese have re-written WW2 in their own image in School text books
;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well sorry to inform you it IS a big deal. Any business person dealing with the Japanese in Australia is usually trained on the cultural differences and any actions/words etc. that they may find offensive. Guess what... "Jap" is around the top.
You are quite right. Jap(an) and Nip(pon) used almost everywhere apart from Britain is offensive. The closest analogy is the hurt you will inflict if you call someone the common abbreviation of Pakistan here. But if you understand this, why did you think n*gger would be acceptable?

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Good God alive, what a drama queen you've shown yourself to be. :rolleyes:

The 'storm in a teacup' started when you massively over-reacted to having one post moderated. I think you've done the right thing though. Your personality is clearly not at all suited to posting on a forum. Waaaaaaay too sensitive.

Actually, I do have an alternative theory. I reckon PT has realised that his 'braking time' thread is completely wrong, and is too embarrassed to admit it. :lol:

Incidentally, no I wouldn't use 'jap' to refer to any of my Japanese colleagues in a business meeting. But neither would I use 'Brit' or 'Yank'. Not because they're derogatory, but because they're slang, and not suited to the environment. Regardless of whether you think 'Jap' can be used in a derogatory way, in the post you highlighted it clearly had not been. And if you're trying to claim that it's as bad as 'N*ggers' - which regardless of the 'joke' clearly implies exactly the word it is supposed to - then you're just being a clown.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Working for a Japanese company, living in the UK and traveling around the world I do appreciate the 'Jap' word minefield. The facts are:-

In the UK 'Jap' is used as an abbreviation for anything Japanese (including people) and is considered to be as unoffensive as calling someone a 'Brit'.

In the USA and Australia 'Jap' is used as an insult in the same way that in the UK calling someone from Pakistan a 'P***i' would be.

Any well traveled Japanese person will have figured out this difference but of course a Japanese person who has only ever been to the USA or Australia may get a bit of a surprise when they first visit the UK.

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
OK, lets look at this a little more dispassionately.

You didn't have a massive problem with the 'Jap' thing until your n*ggers post got unapproved. You mentioned in thread that it could be though offensive, but didn't report the post, or kick up much of a post.

So we can assume that your major gripe is what happened with the n*ggers post. The only reason I can think that you've gone so massively overboard about this is that you feel you have been judged to be racist by having an action taken against that post.

I can categorically state that this is not the case. We are quite aware of the 'naggers' episode of South Park, and that you were mirroring that. Had we decided that you were being racist, you would have received an infraction.
The post was unapproved - note: not deleted - while the mods discussed what action, if any, was needed.
Our final decision was that it should not be allowed to stand. Not because we felt you were being racist, but because anyone unaware of the SP episode would clearly jump to the intended conclusion, and therefore it was tantamount to allowing an extremely offensive word to remain on the forum.
While South Park does an exceedingly good job of making strong political points by deliberately pushing the envelope on many sensitive matters, doing so on here is not appropriate.

If you decide to cool your head and want to stick around, you're more than welcome to do so - despite your several claims that you were about to get banned for daring to disagree with the mods, you haven't actually done anything wrong aside from having a rather startling toy-pram exit incident. ;)

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback regarding the different terminology :)
It is all useful information and I would just like to repeat that if anybody on the forum finds a post offensive please report the post and we will look into it. Sometimes it will not be an instant response, but we will always look into it, discuss it and take what we consider to be appropriate action.
Obviously as the AO community grows there will be instances like this, where we will all learn something from it :)

EDIT - our posts crossed Bazza :)

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
So they did AV. :D

I was about to add a bit about the 'jap' issue too. Most of it has now already been covered by your post though.
The only think I would add is that I think we're unlikely to put a blanket ban on the word in place. If it is used in a derogatory way though, we will take action, as we will with any such incident, regardless of whether a 'hate word' is used or not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.