Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I don't have my alfa 147 owners manual and need to check the SELE speed oil level as I have a clunk when it changes from & back into 3rd gear. It 's under warranty so I'm going to take it back to the dealer but they are a long way away I'm hoping it's something simple and a previous post on here advised me to check the oil..

Can some one advise or post a pic to show me please where the sele oil is ...

Shameful to admit but in six weeks of ownership I have not even lifted the bonnet :eek:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
And apply this NASA approved modification to the breather tube !

you can keep an eye on the Tutella level and prevent spillage on the floor !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's empty :eek: ok so where do I get this oil from please, will Halfords etc sell it ? and how much am I likely to need (at most)

Cheers for yor help, seems I could be along the right track

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
ATF (automatic transmission fluid) Dexron III, I put in ours, and that's the standard required, for the Selespeed Electro/Hydraulic system. I believe the Alfa, Fiat version is gold, whereas the one I used is Red, but as I never used the Alfa stuff, not too sure. I drained and refilled the gearbox/transmission itself with fully synthetic GL5 spec, and I believe this was 75/80/??:rolleyes:P.S. I think it was 75/80, rather than 75/90, iirc?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I just topped up to the maximum level, the dip stick didn't have any on there at all before that. Have just taken her for a spin and no difference still the same clunking noise when going into or out of 3rd gear. No driving problems and only does it with 3rd, the strangest thing is that if left over night it doesn't do it for the first few changes !

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The actuator on ours was always a little 'clunky'. However the gearbox itself, with the fully synthetic lubricant behaved quite well overall.:):

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
you can try a calibration with Alfadiag.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
RB the only 'fault' we experienced over four years of ownership, was the 'snatching' effect of the clutch engagement from cold. Give her about three minutes to warm up, and that disappeared and she ran fine. Guess we should have had her on Examiner really. Hey! Ho! hindsight is a wonderful thing?:(:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is that a big job? I'm trying to solve it locally, it is under warranty sill but the dealer is a long way from me and means a day off work

D

·
0 Posts
Roofless,
You'd need to buy alfadiag and cable if you dont have it. You could take it to a fiat dealership if have one closer - they can calibrate with examiner.
Alternatively someone who lives close to might be able to help out with alfadiag.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
no bleeding for the selspeed oil system, but if the pump has ran dry than you may have a big problem !!!

Alfadiag and cable will set you back around 70 euros (50gbp) about the cost the dealer charges for one calibration !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just been out and when pulling back into the drive in the wifes car I noticed there is a puddle of oil directly underneath the Alfa where I filled up this morning. It is obviously leaking as I didn't spill a drop so maybe the cause but certainly a concern, it has retained the majority of the oil as the dipstick is around the maximum mark .

I'm not good with tools so have not looked into it further yet to see where the leak is

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
maybe just a loose pipe connection

H

·
0 Posts
If you overfill it, oil will be ejected from the breather and over the front n/s wheel.(156, assume its the same for the 147)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts