Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32,763 Posts
My dad is unable to get to the bank nowadays as the local branches have closed. The bank offers to send somebody to the home where he now lives. They don’t turn up and despite power of attorney they won’t transfer £37k which they’d prefer to use to earn them some money. The whole thing just goes round the call centre again and nothing happens. On-line banking must be beyond so many older people too.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Only reason I am with them is they pay interest on current account.
does the interest outweigh your headaches,
To be honest,up to this particular incident I hadn't any bother with them....online banking without any communication with them.....it's when I had to deal with that Security Section that the troubles started.

Just checked my account and true to their word the £75 compensation is in there.

Btw I am one for web chat with these big companies and find it better than the phone.... Santander have web chat but most of the time it is with a web-bot who is worse than useless.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt this time....but anymore hassle and I may leave them.

·
Premium Member
45,219 Posts
My dad is unable to get to the bank nowadays as the local branches have closed. The bank offers to send somebody to the home where he now lives. They don’t turn up and despite power of attorney they won’t transfer £37k which they’d prefer to use to earn them some money. The whole thing just goes round the call centre again and nothing happens. On-line banking must be beyond so many older people too.
You can do simple banking stuff at most post offices, like paying in or withdrawing cash, paying in cheques (think it adds a few days). My local post office always has loads of old dears withdrawing large amounts of cash, it'd be a mugger's delight.

·
Premium Member
45,219 Posts
Just checked my account and true to their word the £75 compensation is in there.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt this time....but anymore hassle and I may leave them.
£75, nice. :thumbs:

I am with Nationwide, they are brilliant. I've switched a few people there over the years using their online recommend a friend thing, they get £100 and I get £100, nothing beats free money. You want to be switching your account every year for the perks, Nationwide is the one I don't switch and I have another account which I switch fairly regularly for cashbacks. All done online, no hassle, all direct debits moved too.

·
Administrator
45,068 Posts
We're re-fixing our mortgage at the moment with HSBC. This meant that Mrs Bazza needed to log on to verify that she agreed with the changes I had set up. She hasn't logged on for 2 years since the last time, as I deal with all that stuff. The rigmarole in getting her access has been ridiculous.

Tried on Friday, and their system was down. Tried over the weekend and couldn't get through. Tried today and the thing to set up her secure key refused to recognise her entries on the phone. Guy reckoned it was because we'd been forwarded to his department. So rang again. Still didn't work. This guy reckons it has locked, and will need to be done at a branch. So we go to a branch, who tells us because it's locked, she can't do anything with it. Back home and call again, this person says "I can't beleive you were told to go to a branch, they wouldn't be able to do anything". She then tries to solve it, fails, and says "I think you'll have to go to a branch."

When we repeat to her the hoops we've already jumped through, she decided she'll try deleting the whole application for phone access and start again, and it works, hurrah!

She then starts talking about how Mrs Bazza can apply for the mortgage change, and that she might have to pay two booking fees if she changes the rate and then the term. I think she hears me shout "I've already agreed the new term, new rate, and already paid the booking fee!" in a grumpy tone from the other side of the room (things we had already told her!)

Finally after it being repeated several times, it was accepted that all Mrs Bazza needed to do was to verify that she agreed with the changes I had made, as the joint mortgage holder.

The thing is that, throughout these delays, we're on a 4.17% interest rate instead of 1.59%. We had to wait for it to lapse before starting to agree a new rate because we wanted to make an overpayment.

We will see how much longer it takes them to actually put the changes into effect. I may complain if it's more than a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
45,219 Posts
1.59% is a cracking rate, less than inflation. Although you can get a negative rate mortgage in Denmark now, so there's that. Wonder if it will happen here? Central banks gotta do something to keep that bubble inflating..

·
Administrator
45,068 Posts
You can get as low as 1.21% I think. But we're fixing for 5 years for a few reasons, Mostly the B word, but also it allowing us to use the overpayment limits each year as a target so we can regiment our saving better.

Sorry, it turns out this probably should have been a fresh thread. :eek:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
You can get as low as 1.21% I think. But we're fixing for 5 years for a few reasons, Mostly the B word, but also it allowing us to use the overpayment limits each year as a target so we can regiment our saving better.

Sorry, it turns out this probably should have been a fresh thread.
Nah....work away Bazza....my rant is over.......hopefully

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
When my Father in Law , who was a retired Bank manager,found out his son has put a large some into Santander, he flipped and went on a proper rant.
When the Santander account was screwed over and he lost over 10k, he realised he should have followed his Dads advice.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
One man's experience of Santander: decent products, rotten admin.

Had a fixed term savings account, available online only. At the end of three years, they email me to say withdrawals are at a branch only. Que?

Find a branch. Wander in armed with prints of account details. Branch staff have never heard of it. They say: "Isn't this an online only account?"

·
Registered
37,298 Posts
I have never really had any issues with Santander other than the security checks which I mentioned earlier in the thread. They are certainly better than Nationwide with whom I banked with before.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have tried paying in money to my daughters student account, the questions are ridiculous. We(daughter & I) re-opened a junior ISA, uprated it to current as she is now 21, I opened this when she was 13 & my late father ,her Grandad, deposited the years limit at the time & each year until she was 16. I asked all the questions on the phone before we went , when I presented cash my god we became criminals?! I now pay money into the Post office & she uses/withdraws it using a pre-paid debit card...no hassle costs a few % ...but I cannot stand being questioned on how I spend my own money etc etc, I know its their job but the levels of Zeal is incredible...especially as they must know the jobs days are numbered...what a ***** I am ...ha ha

21 - 32 of 32 Posts