Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am ashamed to admit that this is my second Alfa that I have owned in my life time of owning cars and I have owned many.

I have just been given a mint condition 2008 GT Lusso GTS with 57,000 miles on the clock which had one other previous owner. It was not driven for about 4 or 5 years because the owner lived and worked in London.

This is a common occurrence for some car ownership in London because moving the car from a good parking spot (usually outside their house) would have meant loosing a good parking spot! Ridiculous but true.

Anyway I had forgotten how an Alfa can get under your skin with it’s lively 16v engine. It can put a smile on the face and it doesn’t look bad doing it. I can’t remember why I didn’t buy another Alfa, maybe it was because my last one broke it’s timing belt on the day the service was due which may have confirmed the “Alfa reputation” people keep going on about. A wiseman once said, you need to own at least one Alfa in your lifetime otherwise you can’t call yourself an experienced driver.

Maybe he was right, or he could been drunk :beer: anyway I look forward to this experience and I hope that joining AO community will help me know more about owing one this time round.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Congrats, for my money the gt is a fantastic well designed car, a true gt, it's looks are timeless, it's interior comfortable and well put together, I'm on my second gt both of mine have been jtd and my current one is a daily driver, and has covered nearly 160k miles. The alfa reputation is completely undeserved. Sure some cars suffer more than others and the dealer network has in the past been bad, but have you ever been in to an audi main dealer? They are beyond bad. We've also had a 147 jtd which covered 180k miles of very trouble free motoring, it only didn't start once due to a loose earth terminal on the battery. You will have to accept the front suspension upper arms are a service item as are the ar drop links, make sure you dont jack it up on the sills and just enjoy the experience. My 156 had the 2.0 jts, brilliant engine, dozy at low revs but rewarding when you give it some beans. Headlights will benefit from some uprated bulbs and a double din satnav really upgrades the interior. I may attract some derision here but I've had jags, Aston Martin, saab, volvo, every land rover, BMW, audi and a Maserati and believe it or not all Alfas have proved the most reliable. Keep it maintained, keep it clean and you'll get years out of that gt.

Attachments

·
Administrator
88,504 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts