Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around at possible replacements for my BMW and have noticed that Seat Leon Cupras seem really good value for money. (Good ones for around £1750 upwards)

They have 5 doors, look pretty good and have 1.8 Turbo engines, so tick quite a few boxes for me.

I know they are pretty much a Golf in a better looking frock, but has anyone had any experiences with them?

I assume they can be tuned quite easily, and I know it shares its engine with the TT...

Cheers. :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
HonestJohn bought one. When he tested Ibiza Cupra with that motor he said something like 'trouble is the Leon with the same engine offers much the same wrt performance and MPG'.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see the bit on the honest John website.

They do seem like a pretty decent motor providing you get the waterpump and cambelt changed every 4 years.

I think they were styled By Walter Da Silva (Of Alfa 156 fame) as well.

D

·
0 Posts
Good cars man. Handle well too. Buddy has had one since 2004 when he got it new and it's the 180bhp version with a 60bhp shot of nos too. Nice cars if a bit dull inside. Steering isn't bad in them and the engine can be modded fairly handily too. Get onto some of the VW sites and they will let you know what can and can't be done to them engines as there is a few different versions of the same engine. Waterpumps do leak on them also very it's rare enough.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Damien.
:thumbs:

There are a few other cars out there like as well, but I am not in a rush to do anything at the moment, so I will see what comes along. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Cheers Damien.
:thumbs:

There are a few other cars out there like as well, but I am not in a rush to do anything at the moment, so I will see what comes along. :)
745 ci :D Is what you want man :D

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think that would go down too well to be honest.

It is hard enough for her indoors to park a 5 series due to its size let alone a 7.

Not keen on the styling either to be honest.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Get an M3 Evo saloon, you'd love it.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't think that would go down too well to be honest.

It is hard enough for her indoors to park a 5 series due to its size let alone a 7.

Not keen on the styling either to be honest.
The E38 is a mint looking car. Even the early bangle ones are growing on me. Or as the man pud said get an M3 there dirt cheap in the uk and for the amount of money you spend on one you won't get a faster or better car imo.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The E38 is a mint looking car. Even the early bangle ones are growing on me. Or as the man pud said get an M3 there dirt cheap in the uk and for the amount of money you spend on one you won't get a faster or better car imo.
I love the shape of the E38 as well, it is just the size of it that is the problem.

Have you had a quote? I think you might be pleasantly suprised.
I will get a few later. :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I looked at getting a cupra a few years back, £4k insurance on a £6k car put me off slightly though :lol:. Ive said it before but i really like the mazda 3 MPS :thumbs: good looking and quick small 'ish' car :)

·
Premium Member
42,855 Posts
I had an 02 reg brand spanking new .... ... great car.... unfortunately... mine was assembled on a friday afternoon :cry: ... got rid after 4 years ...finance paid etc.... but my mate (boss) still has his :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
I love the shape of the E38 as well, it is just the size of it that is the problem.

I will get a few later. :)
Parking sensors and you're sorted :D Buddy had a 745 Individual before what a nice car and some crazy detailing in it too.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dunno, I have had to visit a few car parks in the last few days, and the sheer size of the 5 series makes it difficult to get into an out of spaces. I know the parking sensors would help, but the car is still going to be big.

It is worse around here where the spaces are barely wider than the car.

Just need something a bit smaller and more manouvreable, otherwise the corners will get knocked off before long.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Even an E36 3 series feels a much bigger car than a 156, so maybe you should try one of those? :lol:

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even an E36 3 series feels a much bigger car than a 156, so maybe you should try one of those? :lol:
I can quite believe it. My dads E46 Coupe is only about 10" shorter than my 5 series, but it does feel a lot smaller to drive.

As for Leons, I quite like this one. But the mileage puts me off a bit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-SEAT-LEON-1-8-20V-TURBO-CUPRA-/190617390393?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c61ae8d39

Some of the early Cupras have multi spoke wheels and no side skirts, and I think they look dreadful. Like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-SEAT-LEON-20V-TURBO-CUPRA-BRONZE-REMAPED-215-BHP-FSH-12-STAMPS-BOOK-/290649107584?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43ac096c80

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
The VAG 20vt 4 cylinder engine does suffer from sludging problems, ignition amplifier faults, coil pack faults etc on quite a regular basis especially once they've passed the 6 figure marker. They are a fairly decent engine but definitely not the "engineering excellence" that your current BMW six is. I've driven a few Leons, 2 x Cupras and 1 x 170 Sport diesel and I probably wouldn't have one, although there is nothing wrong with them I just didn't 'get' it.

You could get a slightly older E46 3 litre diesel for similar money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts