Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me? The seat belt on the drivers side has been sticking of late but only once in a while. We have come to use it today and it just won't budge, we have taken the cover off and tried to pull it through but it just wont move. My husband tapped something at the bottom thinking that the pendulam had jammed and it sparked and a big bloom of white smoke appeared.

Has anybody had this problem before and does anybody know how to recify it???

Any ideas/help is gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had the passenger side seat belt sticking recently. If you tug on it it only becomes more jammed, so I usually leave it for a little while and it always becomes unstuck. I have had to replace the belt before as it had a tiny hole in it and failed the MOT. Someone of this forum stocked them and supplied me with one. It was relatively easy to replace.

I'm only guessing here - someone else will probably clarify - I wonder if the spark and smoke was caused by the seat belt pre-tentioner? I personally would get the belt replaced as it sounds like something's gone off inside it.

Just my thoughts though! :)

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I've had the passenger side seat belt sticking recently. If you tug on it it only becomes more jammed, so I usually leave it for a little while and it always becomes unstuck. I have had to replace the belt before as it had a tiny hole in it and failed the MOT. Someone of this forum stocked them and supplied me with one. It was relatively easy to replace.

I'm only guessing here - someone else will probably clarify - I wonder if the spark and smoke was caused by the seat belt pre-tentioner? I personally would get the belt replaced as it sounds like something's gone off inside it.

Just my thoughts though! :)
Agree there, it must be the pre-tensioner. Most electrical thing work with smoke - if the smoke escapes, it doesn't work anymore.

The workshop manual warns to wear goggles, gloves, earmuffs when working on the pre-tensioner.

I'm not sure on the Alfa pre-tensioner, but many pre-tensioners work on electrically fired gas modules (similar to airbags). So you'll have to replace the unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts