Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a MOT on my 2001 156 sportswagon (passed 1st time no problems) :thumbs:

The MOT guy mentioned the front tyres were being heavily scrubbed on the very inside. He did not think it was toe in/out since there was no 'feathering' and only the very inside was affected.

He remommended taking it to be laser aligned but before I wanted to check this is not the symptoms when the A frames (or other suspension parts) are worn otherwise the alignment place will just tell me to replace those bits and I'll have to pay for both!

I checked the A frame for movement with the wheels in the air and could not feel anything but there again maybe it's not that obvious.

Any thoughts? I've heard the wheel alignment is not too expensive so maybe should just plump for it.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
...He did not think it was toe in/out since there was no 'feathering' and only the very inside was affected.
It is due to having too much toe-out on the front.

The setting was revised 13-years ago to 0mm toe on the front.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Worn wishbones should have been picked up during the MOT.

Too much toe out WILL scrub the inner edge off.
A friend of mine had a very early 156 and in the first 6-months of 1999 he had the front tyres replaced several times under warranty because the inner edges were getting scrubbed away. As soon as Alfa revised the setting to 0mm toe the problem went away.

It isn't unique to the 156 either. Any car with any amount of -ve camber will scrub off the inner edge if there is too much toe-out. Bad enough on a 156, but a very painful experience on a 159 with 19" tyres costing £200 each...!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will get it checked out with some Lazer alignment - I guess they lookup the specification for my car and model year? Will that be correct or do I need to tell them to set it with 0mm (no toe in or out I assume?)

thanks again

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Will get it checked out with some Lazer alignment - I guess they lookup the specification for my car and model year? Will that be correct or do I need to tell them to set it with 0mm (no toe in or out I assume?)
You need to make sure they set the front to 0mm toe.
Many places still have very old data...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also will front alignment be OK (about £30) or will it be necessary to get 4 wheel alignment (£80).

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Also will front alignment be OK (about £30) or will it be necessary to get 4 wheel alignment (£80).
You want 4-wheel alignment.

The rear toe IS adjustable, don't let them convince you it isn't!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I also had a front tire wear on the inside, but not like the pic uploaded, it is like inner 1/2 of the tire had more wear. Had wheel aliment, and the mechanic told me the that the wear of the tire was = to the incorrect toe in.

But i don`t know what settings did he apply, so what is correct (default) toe for alfa 147 2001.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
But i don`t know what settings did he apply, so what is correct (default) toe for alfa 147 2001.
The official setting for the front of a 147 is still 2mm toe-out, but you don't want to use that...!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts