Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Alfa do it's own brand of screen-wash? I had some in my brand new GTV once that smelt of Evo-stick. Mmmmm!

I've tried every brand I can find since but I can't find the same one. I'm bored of all the soapy or chemical smelling ones on general sale. I shudder at the thought of Halfords "apple flavour" etc.

What brand comes in the car when it's new and where can I get it from?

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I think Alfa do some screenwash, just pop into your dealer :D I had some in a handy pouch including polish etc

wrinx

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't use very much of this stuff considering the washers only work half the time....anyone else get this? Is there an easy fix?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its 6litres eek! btw!!!

What do you mean by they only work half the time. Do they take ages to get water through or just not work at all?

wrinx

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sometimes they work fine, but other times I go to use them and there is a noise, but nothing emerges from the ducts on beneath the windscreen even if I leave them on for several seconds, or repeatedly switch them on, although the headlight ones seem to work all the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea,
There is a small 3 way valve under the scuttle panell, The valve inside is made of some sort of rubber, and perishes in time, try that. Failing that it could be a washer motor on it's way??
You will need to take the filler bottles off.

Dom

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a problem with my washers not working.Pump was working but nothing coming out.Replaced the non-return valve which didn't make any difference.

Turns out the bottom of the washer bottle was full of some sort of sediment caused by someone regularly using washing up liquid to fill up the bottle.

Still haven't got round to sorting it out yet. :(

---------------
Ian H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alfastu:
non-return valve? :confused:
Yup, thats what I was thinking :D Mine split itself into several pieces, replaced with a straight joint and it now takes a while for the water to come through.

wrinx

·
Registered
220 Posts
BTW Wrinx,think you mentioned in an earlier thread on this topic that you were told by the dealer that the non-return valve wasn't a dealer part.

Managed to get one from Caledonia in Preston,part number 7667888.cost 79p.

--------------
Ian H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the topic of the washer bottle, this may work. Take the nozzle or end bit off of a regular garden hose, stick the hose right down into the washer bottle and turn on the water. The resultuing flow out of the hole should carry the muck with it. Leave the hose in there for a while and come back to it later. Similar to the 'Take off thermostat, stick hose in expansion tank and flush' methos of engine cooling system cleaning. Not technically right but does the trick to an extent.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if you take off the top of the valve pull out the gutts glue up the liitle hole in the cap,,,hey presto quick fix. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could alwys do what my dad did to break down the detergent sediment blocking the system: use vinegar!!!! (this wasn't on my car by the way)
It didn't actually work, plus the car stank like fish & chips everytime he washed the windscreen for at least 6 months after... Is this not the smell you were after Ralf?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fish and chips....? It wouldn't exactly put my missus into a romantic mood on a Saturday night would it?

I wonder if there is a market for "Tommy Hilfinger" branded/flavoured screen wash?

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't ask how I got there, but I was on the 'RAIN-X' website the other day and apparently they do a washer additive that adds rain-x every time you wash the screen. I use the normal rain-x, and to be honest its not the easiest stuff to put on evenly without swirly marks even after you've polishd the stuff off. i'm a bit sceptical about the washer additive therefore. anyone tried it?

regards
raj

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've also had this problem and still do have it.before i bought the car it had been into an Alfa Dealer to be de-scaled but the window washer still don't work DOH !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts