Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.0 Giulietta - which I (mostly!) love apart from the usual squeaks, rattles (but that's another thread!). Especially on a nice quiet country lane with the 'D' switch engaged - what a hoot! :) :D

But....I'm having an on-going problem with horrible smelling screen wash fluid - a kind of unpleasant, oily type odour which hangs around for a minute or so after spraying the screen. And this is despite regular topping up with proprietary fresh 'ready to use' washer fluid.

Anyone else had this issue and how did you overcome it? Is the system easy to flush out / clean, is it easy to get the bottle out etc?

Or is this a dealer job?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Have you tried flushing it out with clear water? There will be bacteria growing on the ethanol or similar in the fluid. Operate the washers until the system is empty and then fill with clean water and repeat.
I believe some people have had success with the sort of steriliser used for babies bottles

·
Registered
377 Posts
I chucked 1/2 a Milton tablet in mine.

Then left it for 10 minutes to dissolve.

Then pumped it through until you smell the Milton.

Then left for 10 minutes.

Then cleared all the way through.

Then re-filled with screen wash.

Sorted it out.

It seemed to have happened when it sat at the dealers for a while.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
As suggested above, the whole system needs cleaning out.

I flushed completely through with really hot water several times which did the trick.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never had that problem really, but as I tend to use a 1/4 ratio with the the wash mix, I guess the strength of the alcohol content helps to keep the bacteria or whatever growth in check?

Whenever we use the screen wash the missus reckons the smell is like a good quality Vodka coming through the air vents? :lol:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My TR6 is only used for a few hundred miles in the summer, and as a result a bottle of screen wash lasts years.

Once, at MOT time, the pre- test check I did highlighted the washers weren't working. Upon opening the bottle I discovered I had grown something inside it which wouldnt have looked out of place in a jar of formaldehyde in a Medical School......

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I bought a 159 & had this problem. Got rid of what was in there and replaced with proprietry ready mixed stuff. However I don't let the fluid level drop - it's topped up weekly! so less air means less chance of bacterial growth!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
As others have said, I reckon it's best to use the blue type of screen wash that smells like Vodka. Never had a problem with any solution containing alcohol, whereas the various other soapy-type solutions can nourish a slimy black growth that clogs the pump filter.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Anyone else had this issue and how did you overcome it? Is the system easy to flush out / clean, is it easy to get the bottle out etc?
I haven't had any experience yet with the Giulietta, but if the screen wash bottle is in the right front wheel arch (as I think it is), you'll probably find it easiest to remove the wheel and the wheel arch liner (check for screws under the bottom of the bumper and under the sill).

It's probably fairly cold where you are, so I suggest the careful use of a lighter flame to heat around the end of the plastic tubing before trying to pull the tubes off the pump; otherwise, it is often too easy to snap the outlets off the pump, which renders it useless. You could also use an electric heat gun or hairdryer instead of a flame (safer, less risk of fire, but be careful not to melt the tank).

The pump pushes into a rubber grommet that is placed in the bottle first. When reassembling, apply some dishwashing liquid or similar to the rubber, so that the pump fits easily.

-Alex

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I bought a 159 & had this problem. Got rid of what was in there and replaced with proprietry ready mixed stuff. However I don't let the fluid level drop - it's topped up weekly! so less air means less chance of bacterial growth!
You're presuming the bacterium, or bacteria, responsible is aerobic, in many cases it has been reported that it is an anaerobic bacterium that causes the bad smell. In which case keeping the water topped up will not affect its growth. In any case oxygen from the atmosphere will dissolve in the water. High levels of alcohol in the fluid will keep the growth at bay. The best fluid I have used was one made by Bosch, but is no longer available I believe.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Had this once, emptied the tank and left it empty for a week. The heat of the engine should kill anything left inside or the lack of liquid starve it.

Of course this approach is much more suited to summer time.

·
Registered
36,661 Posts
Is this issue unique to the Giulietta then ?
Not clear why the level of responses to this couldn't generic question wouldn't have benefited from posting on the General Motoring platform . Still, that's just me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had a mondeo a few years back with the screen wash smelling like someone had pushed in the washer bottle tank,I just emptied the tank using the washer jets,then a flush through with some bleach,then clean water sorted it

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
You're presuming the bacterium, or bacteria, responsible is aerobic, in many cases it has been reported that it is an anaerobic bacterium that causes the bad smell. In which case keeping the water topped up will not affect its growth. In any case oxygen from the atmosphere will dissolve in the water. High levels of alcohol in the fluid will keep the growth at bay. The best fluid I have used was one made by Bosch, but is no longer available I believe.
I don't top up with water - that would dilute the concentration!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Is this issue unique to the Giulietta then ?
Not clear why the level of responses to this couldn't generic question wouldn't have benefited from posting on the General Motoring platform . Still, that's just me.
No, its isn't - I had it when I got my Brera (think it had lain for a good while before I bought it). I used the blue ready mixed stuff and actually increased the consistency by throwing in some concentrated stuff too. Seems to have killed it off thankfully. It did stink like boiled eggs!

·
Registered
36,661 Posts
No, its isn't - I had it when I got my Brera (think it had lain for a good while before I bought it). I used the blue ready mixed stuff and actually increased the consistency by throwing in some concentrated stuff too. Seems to have killed it off thankfully. It did stink like boiled eggs!
Why's it on the Giulietta section then !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts