Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a silly question, but, is there any product out there that will remove scratches from glass, windscreen and passenger door.

If not any ideas how much to replace on a 2001 gtv 2.0

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I'd try and get second hand ones of a breakers if I were you...

·
Administrator
46,120 Posts
Depending on the depth of the scratches, apparently toothpaste is very good, being a very gentle abrasive.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Try calling Autoglass. No, I don't work for them, but you might be able to get some sort of repair done free on your insurance.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I've got scratches on mine in sweeps from the blades, think the previous owner lived near the sea in Ireland.

I'm waiting for the chips to become cracks so I can claim on me insurance for new one :)

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Have you tried any of the commercial Glass polishes (as available in Halfrauds)?

Success/performance will obviously depend on the depth of the scratch being treated, but one day I intend to try this myself on my wiper scratches!

·
Registered
31 Posts
In the past I have used Solvol Autobright to remove scratches from glass. However, the best compound for polishing glass is cerium oxide. Try googling on "polishing glass" to find procedures and sources.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I use Autoglym glass polish. It works fine on very small scratches. :cool:

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Cerium oxide...i work in a glass factory and this is what is used to buff scratches out of glass.....it all depends on how deep the scratch is though...fine scratches not a problem, big scratches though, go to breakers yard and get some more windows...:)

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Try jewellers' rouge. Cerium oxide has probably replaced it in modern times!
Also try some of the classic car sites as with older cars getting new, or even second-hand, can be a problem so polishing is the only course of action for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts