Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m still thinking what could couse this on cylinder liner??? what are consequences of this scratch?

The picture is not perfect but as I go with my nail trought scratch I can tell it is quite big..:rant::rant:

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi Electroboy,
Without very close examination it is difficult to say. However I am prepared to have a guess..... Maybe indication of piston starting to "pick up". I say that because of my experience of Perkins 6354.2 diesel engines as fitted to fleet of Dodge trucks that I maintained when I worked for Carlsberg 20yrs ago. Vehicle developed coolant leak away from base, driver got her home after taking pressure cap off header tank but it did make some unpleasant noises resulting in the cyl head coming off for a good look around. I found deep(ish) vertical scoring
of two cylinders. Result? Strip down and rebuild with new liners, rings etc.

I wish you well..

Let me know how you get on.. via pm

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I am confused that the scratch goes up to the lip of the liner. So it probably wasn’t anything related to piston rings. Their movement stops about 1 cm from the top and about 4-5 cm from the bottom of the liner. I guess that something must have been stuck between the top of the piston itself and the liner. Thats the bottom of the liner right? The silver part is actually the not worn part where the piston and its rings dont even come...

I have seen similar damage caused by piston removal as well. If you are not careful and slide up the piston-conrod assembly off the crank, the conrod can scratch the liner going up. Seems like this on the first look.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Like I said, without closer examination (as in being there to physically examine etc) it is only guess work..... I wish you well and hope that you get that V6 back to good health.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I'm with ZF... I think the gudgeon pin could have shifted sideways so you have the "double" tramlines where the edges of the pin have grazed the curve of the liner. You could have a broken or missing circlip to allow it to move like that... though don't dismantle the engine on my say-so :eek: .. the picture isn't conclusive by any means.

Ralf S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts