Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would not believe some of the cars that are being scrapped under this Stalinist Govt's attempt to stimulate the motor industry in most countries other than Britain. Oh, and very generous they are with your money too.

I spent a pleasant half hour at Lipscombs on Saturday and was amazed to hear of some of the lovely Alfas being sent to the scrapper. One in particular a GTV twinny in grigio metallic with only 60-70 thou on the clock.

Hold on to your Alfas guys because at this rate there will be none left. Couldn't help thinking of Clarkson's ending to Top Gear the other night. Well I for one am not giving in... the Cup stays

**** EM !:mad:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Remember when the media was telling us it wasn't going to work and no one would use it. :cheese:

S

·
0 Posts
What cars are built in the uk these days??
Nissans, Toyotas, front wheel drive BMWs, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Bristol, Morgan, Vauxhall Astras, Vauxhall, Renault and Nissan vans too.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
So anyone who bought one of those with the scrappage scheme has helped the uk car industry. Well, at least the good people who work at the plants or make parts at other plants.

Sounds fair enough to me :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
So anyone who bought one of those with the scrappage scheme has helped the uk car industry. Well, at least the good people who work at the plants or make parts at other plants.

Sounds fair enough to me :lol:
But it upsets me that usable quality classics such as the GTV, 145 etc are being so readily scrapped.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
If the owner isn't an enthusiast then why would they care??

Love talks to some, money talks to everyone.

S

·
0 Posts
If the owner isn't an enthusiast then why would they care??

Love talks to some, money talks to everyone.
I still don't understand it though.

The equivalent to my GTV would be a GT or Brera at about £22k.

So I would need to find £20k with my £2k scrappage.

If I walked into a bank and asked for £20k loan towards a new Alfa they would roll around the floor laughing like the smash aliens.
( My bank managers - :cheese::lol::cheese::lol::cheese: )

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
A non enthusiast would probably not care what the new equivelent Alfa would be (probably wouldn't even know) they'd just want to get the 2k to put towards a new car, prob a seat or vauxhall. :lol:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI whle at Lipscombs the other day I was offered £2000 on top of any trade in on the Brera S 2.2 or 3.2 plus an extra £2000 discount. You must have a trade in to get the £2000 and not a cash buyer. This is before you start to screw them down on a proper deal.

When We bought our 1.9 JTD (Veloce) Sportwagon it was on the forecourt for 21,500.....We walked out with a new car for........

£16000 and I **** you not.

It amazes me when people think 10% is a good discount. If you've ever been in the market for a Brera S now's the time.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
There are a number of cars built in Britain at the mo, I have a list below but it is slightly out of date. There are quite a few built here, and then you have the supply chain so there is benefit to the UK industry/jobs/economy etc

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not many is it, makes you quite depressed really. They'd have been better off reducing the cost of commercial fuel/power that way all industries in the UK only would benefit

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Your confusing me now DT.

You start the thread by calling the Government stalinist then after 13 more posts to the thread you want UK only?!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha Ha Ha:lol:

The term implies an inherently oppressive system of extensive government spying, extrajudicial punishment, and political "purging", or elimination of political opponents either by direct killing or through exile, and it involves a state making extensive use of propaganda to establish a personality cult around an absolute dictator to maintain control over the nation's people and to maintain political control for the Communist Party. The term was originally coined in a positive sense by Lazar Kaganovich, but nonetheless rejected by Stalin himself.

It is not specifically nationalistic in derivation. But I know where you are coming from,

Its only because you are such a cheeky boy, that I bother with these things, it's what makes AO fun dont cha think ?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
It amazes me that the public are stupid enough to buy new cars based on this scrappage scheme. It 'worked' in Germany and now in the UK, too, yet it has already been proven that any 'saving' made is wiped out in just 88 days - by depreciation! You are far better off - in most cases - selling your car privately and buying something nearly new, where depreciation is not so much of a factor :rolleyes:.

Worse than that, the whole process of manufacturing a new car does far more damage to the environment than running even the worst old gas guzzler to end of life. The sheer hypocrisy of governments telling us to save the environment in one breath and then, when it suits them, advising us to go out and buy new cars, is appalling...but sadly people still fall for it :mad:

I got 2k scrappage on my old rover 216, I think its great :cheese:
Which has already been lost in depreciation on your new car. See above!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts