Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was just reversing out of a parking space and didn't notice a massive kerb in front as I turned - big crunching/scraping sound and a lot of swearing. End result is this:

:(

If I get something wet the chalky bit of the kerb does come off, but I'm not sure if I should try this as I don't want to scratch it more?

Any ideas how much a dealer would charge to respray it (I'm a bit clueless - I assume it would need a respray rather than just a touchup or something else)? Or are there DIY kits for these sort of things?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
i feel your pain hun, i did that to my etna, huge scrape just a bit higher up, i used chipsaway £185 for 6hrs work, excellent job, and he was an alfisti, the reason i chose him to do the work, he really lavished a lot of TLC on her

the dealer will charge a fortune, get a few quotes first:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try polishing it first, I can't see you making it worse and it is really surprising how effective it can be. You may be really lucky and only be left with a few mild score marks. These things often look worse than they are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Going to pop into a couple of repair shops tomorrow and see what the quotes are like, then go to the dealer (Bauer Millett) and see how they compare too.

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
101 Posts
that wont polish, if its broken the paint it wont polish back, i would try chipsaway there prices are normaly cheaper than body shops, i would say your looking around 150 for that to be done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
N

·
0 Posts
I would definitely t-cut that.

You'd be surprised how much will come off.

Then use a touch-up paint on the hopefully
more minor bits where the paint's actually come off.

Worth a shot.

Being black and low down you might save yourself a few
quid.

(And from my own experience of scrape + fix then accident
a few weeks later, you may end up paying more than once
for bumper repairs. :cry:)

;)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yeah I agree with Nev. Some sod in an old Audi couldn't be bothered to back up before trying to drive her car out of its space and scraped some paint off my rear bumper, so I T-Cut it back and then used touch-up paint - now you wouldn't notice the difference. Saved a pretty pound too, so it's defo worth DIYing it. ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah I agree with Nev. Some sod in an old Audi couldn't be bothered to back up before trying to drive her car out of its space and scraped some paint off my rear bumper, so I T-Cut it back and then used touch-up paint - now you wouldn't notice the difference. Saved a pretty pound too, so it's defo worth DIYing it. ;)
Seconded- a laneside rock has done something similar (shorter but deeper scratching)
to the offside on mine. And it shows up badly on Alfa red :(

However on a plastic bodypart there are no rust implications, so I'm not worried :rolleyes:

Will have a go at it when I'm retired (only a week to go :cheese: )

Chris

·
Registered
570 Posts
i would try chipsaway there prices are normaly cheaper than body shops, i would say your looking around 150 for that to be done.
They did a terrible job on my Spider! The mobile units just can't get the same results as a proper body shop and even if it looks ok initially it won't last.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They did a terrible job on my Spider! The mobile units just can't get the same results as a proper body shop and even if it looks ok initially it won't last.
what was bad with the repair? chipsaway give you a life time warrenty with there repair for as long as you own the car. if it doesnt last then they come back and fix it. not sure what you mean by not last? loses shine or what?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yep lost shine. I had them redo the repair twice and then after 6 months it became pitted and dull so I had them out again. The 6 months later it was the same yet again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
my local alfa romeo dealer ship uses chipsaway and the repairs they done for me have been great. its also a aston martin dealer ship and they use them so they cant be bad. where was it on your spider? sorry to keep asking questions im just abit baffled.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The front wing. All Chips Away outfits are franchised so they are only ever as good as the individual operator. I've heard some are good and get recommended but lots such as my local one aren't!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bad luck mate :( without sounding rude, that's drivers side, how did you not notice the kerb while getting into the car? :eek:

I've done similar myself mind.
I was reversing out of a car lift and there's a tight turn, took it too tight and the bumper clipped the edge of the kerb that is on either side of the lift exit. Hard to explain without a diagram :)

Thanks for the replies - it's going in tomorrow for fixing. Although I could save money doing it myself I don't trust myself! Would rather leave it to somebody who knows what they're doing :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts