Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any ideas as to the current rate for a drive in scrap car?
Can't decide if I should go the ebay route or just drive my old GTV straight to the breakers.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Whatever you do, don't just scrap your GTV. They are in fast decline but your car will be useful to those that own and cherish their GTV and want to keep their loved Alfa on the road.

Post under classifieds on here for starters, ebay could also work well for you. With some time and patience you could make a good few hundred breaking the car. If good, the engine may be worth £200 + alone if its a V6 then more for sure.

·
Registered
683 Posts
For the 5 minutes it will take, you could pop the details on webuyanycar, the price will be crap but might be better than a breakers.

Just be prepared for the endless email bombardment if you decide not to take their offer up (use a hotmail account maybe!)

·
Registered
740 Posts
:eek: that's cheap. What auction was it. I work for an Auction company! we would of got more than that for a 53 plate twinnie for sure!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Sma birmibgham I seen it go through twice now previously 930 no mot if I recall and bonet had a poor respray but looked well apart from that

·
Registered
740 Posts
:( sad old sight a future classic being unloved. Selling for a song at a car auction.:( wish I could snap em all up, and make them megga pretty again. lol

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
I am still crying over the Alfetta GTV refusing to increase in price. Why should the later model?
:thumbs: Same here with my Alfetta GTV6. :cry:

My last TS went for under £200 to a small dealer - cash sale. Mechanically it was excellent, a 97 base model P1. However it had run out of MoT and would have cost £000's, rot on Floor Pan, Fuel Pipes, Tyres, droopy Headlining, Cambelt Service overdue. Estimate was about £700 to get a new MoT and the opinion was that it might well cost almost as much for next year.

I was sad to let it go but the Head had to overrule the Heart, spending as much as the car is worth for my annual 4K mileage in this car just does not make sense, at least not to me.

Frankly if I had the patience I would have stripped it for parts, financially it would have been the best route to go.

Had the bodywork and interior been absolutely mint it may have been worth it but this was a typical sixteen year old car, polished up well but far from perfect and unlikely to be anyones idea of a Classic for some years to come.

On the other hand my Alfetta is a true Classic but if I were to try and sell right now I'd probably be at least £4K in the hole so while I wish all 916 owners all the luck in the world as things stand right now an awful lot of the 916 cars, especially the TS, are now in " Banger " territory, a bit like the cooking 156's.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a similar problem.
My 1997 twinnie has just passed MOT with a few advisories. Those will be relatively cheap and easy (!) to fix but after that it has rust bubbles on the rear wings and perforation in front of the NSR wheel due to a bodged repair (done by others). It has cost me £3000 for 3 super years of Alfa fun (includes buying it) so I can't complain but- it's worth nothing to anyone but me- I suppose I could weigh it in minus the wheels- some nice Ph2 with Bridgestones which might be worth selling separately.

C

·
0 Posts
If you were breaking it and have the room to do it, you'll get a good proportion of the money back, if that is your plan.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My MGF is going for scrap tomorrow for £140. Mechanically good but rusty rear subframe, wheel arches and sill. Car park damage to n/s/f wing. Interior worn. Hood patched with duct tape in 3 places. Driver seat belt jammed. Sad to see her go but have to be pragmatic as I have a GTV TS, a Lexus LS400 and Triumph Toledo to take care of as well.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
If you were breaking it and have the room to do it, you'll get a good proportion of the money back, if that is your plan.
+1:thumbs:

I had one, a 1997 GTV Twinspark that had a failed steering rack and the scrap guy offerd me £150 and all the usual guff " eer, im doin you a favour mate". if you scrap them then you need be shot! sorry as i will probably have the Police at my door next for threatening to have someone shot but please take it it in the Alfisti passion it was mean't.

The car is worth alot of money in the sum of its parts, from a £200 (Purchase price) MOT failure i managed after being offered £150 by a (Robbing barstewrad Scrap dealer who would then have sold it on to China as a metal cube for £400+). Spent a week of evenings stripping the car, rear subframe with suspension attached, front subframe and engine assembly, various bodypanels and then removed the doors with window mechs and various bits and bobs from the interior and after abit of work managed a return of over £800.

You owe it to the Alfa community to salvage as many parts as you can, ill have a drive shaft of you if you do follow this route as both the cars and the parts are getting rare and will continue to get more so.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not everyone has the space, the equipment or the ability to break a car for spares or to effect repairs.

I hated seeing my MGF go but one has to be practical. In good nick it's worth maybe £800 and it needed £1500 to get it there. I don't presently have £15 let alone £1500.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts