Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a grammar school in the 1960's. It was, upon reflection, very middle class and viewed through the eyes of today - pretentious. Whilst clearing out attic stuff this afternoon I came across the school song - oh dear.

The school was John Ruskin Grammar School (for BOYS) - and the song is:-

"When the light of truth is fading and the torch of faith burns low
And the creeping dusk of apathy has dimmed endeavours glow
Then the source of strength that Ruskin knew we too must seek to know
To be worthy of our name."

Anyone else have a similar experience/song?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
interesting thread, Paul!

Erm, sort of; I went to a Roman Catholic school, and among the hymns and prayers, I remember one song that went '...Lourdes, Fatima, and Walsingham...' Saints or people with religious significance, I presume. Beyond that...nada! :)

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I googled your song Scud - no real result but it does seem that there were "house" names - Lourdes, Fatima, Carmel and Walsingham in certain RC schools.

My sisters went to an RC convent school - I was lucky - failed the interview for the RC grammar - when asked what book I would save if my house was on fire I didn't think to mention the bible.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
A school grows here in Duffield
by Ecclesbourne's fair banks.
Founded by folk of Derbyshire
it's patrons form their ranks:

Flamstead, Chantry, Nightingale and Brindley,
all brought renown to their counties name.
So will we each use our strength and our ability
in service of humanity, sciences and art.

I can't remember the rest of the verses :lol:

It surprised me that I could remember that much :lol:

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A school grows here in Duffield
by Ecclesbourne's fair banks.
Founded by folk of Derbyshire
it's patrons form their ranks:

Flamstead, Chantry, Nightingale and Brindley,
all brought renown to their counties name.
So will we each use our strength and our ability
in service of humanity, sciences and art.
Excellent (it doesn't scan though:()

More please.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
I googled your song Scud - no real result but it does seem that there were "house" names - Lourdes, Fatima, Carmel and Walsingham in certain RC schools.

My sisters went to a RC convent school - I was lucky - failed the interview for the RC grammar - when asked what book I would save if my house was on fire I didn't think to mention the bible.
They were indeed house names, Paul; from memory, each pupil was assigned to a house (Lourdes, Fatima and Walsingham), and your house points contributed to each houses' collective points. At the end of week assembly, the head would announce which house had amassed the greatest number of house points that week.

As for the song...either it was one that my school wrote, or it's based on - or part of - a hymn. I'm starting to lean toward the latter. I will ask some of my friends I have kept in touch with from that school, as their memory might be better than mine :)

"...when asked what book I would save if my house was on fire I didn't think to mention the bible." Oops! :lol:

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If, perchance, the school should flood
Do not stand and cry
Stand upon your History book
For it is always dry!

It's all coming flooding back now ... :lol:
Nah - that's pure Molesworth - shurely? (hic)

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
My sisters went to an RC convent school - I was lucky - failed the interview for the RC grammar - when asked what book I would save if my house was on fire I didn't think to mention the bible.
Well that would be the last thing on your mind Paul as that was what you used to set the fire :cheese:

Dont think we had an almamata.(Thanks Chuck)

But I do recal me and my pal getting the belt for talking using our music books as shields as the class sang
"Step we gailie on we go
heel fur heel and toe for

awe fur Mharies wedding.

Gosh she made the wicked witch look like the good fairy.She stopped playing the piano and kept the class going until she appear out of the blue at our desk.

Pomeo

PS Never made the choir.:lol:

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I went to Ilkeston Grammar School in the 60's and the music teacher wrote the new school song with the chous based on the school moto, Labor omnia vincit. I can only remember the first verse which went:

Here we toil from 9 til 4
Fields of science we explore
Languages we learn to speak
Learnng slowly week by week

Chorus
Labor omia vincit
Work conquers all

Fortunately I have forgotten the rest of the deadful doggerel.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The first verse of ours was:

Olim fuit monachorum
Schola nostra sedes;
Puer regius illorum
Fecit nos heredes;
Hoc in posteros amoris
Grande dedit signum;
Sonet ergo Fundatoris
Nomen laude dignum;
Vivat Rex Eduardus Sextus!
Vivat!

No one ever knew the second verse, let alone the subsequent verses!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ours was in Latin as well. I can remember some of it.

But since my old school has been bought by ex Formula 1 mouthpiece Eddie Irvine and demolished, I don't suppose it matters much.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes!! My old school song rocks, even if it has the most random tune and words you can imagine... and it is still sung now. This is going to be a bit of a challenge, but here goes:

We will never bring disgrace to this our city,
By any act of dishonesty nor cowardice,
Nor ever desert our suffering comrades in the ranks (doo doo dooo)

We will fight for the ideals and the sacred things
Of our city both alone and with many.

We will revere and obey the city's laws
And do our best to incite a like reverence and respect
in those around us who are prone to ignore them and set them at naught.

We will strive unceasingly to quicken the public sense of civic duty.

Thus in all these ways
We will transmit this city, not only, not less but to a great extent better
and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us...
LUDAS SUPRA PRAEMIUM.

Someone's uploaded a tame version of it being sung onto youtube, along with a whole host of other videos which do quite a good job of transmitting the character of the school. I'm having a great time reminiscing!
Ludus Supra Praemium - YouTube

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Well my school was called Westlands High School. The nearest to a school song I can remember involved pointing at the initials on the badge in turn while chanting "We Hate School".

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
"...when asked what book I would save if my house was on fire I didn't think to mention the bible." Oops! :lol:
Yeah... but they should understand, if you lose a bible you can go to any hotel room anywhere and pick up another one.. whereas if you lose that special 200-page anniversary edition of Razzle.... :eek:

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts