Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy just about an hour ago who's looking for another car and I said what about alfa!

No chance he said!......I like the car's alot but the steering's far to light for high speed driving, he was saying to one of the guy's in his work that had one a while ago, I asked what model but he didn't know.

But Iv'e also noticed this on the 146 too it's very light, great for town work but scary at speed, is there anything that can be "tightened up".

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey smarty arse.....I didnt say I didn't NOT like the car did i.....NO!!! :rolleyes: :D

I was mearly pointing out something that was said to me this afternoon and I could relate to it that's all.

I like it's shape ect ect and have NO intention's of selling/swaping it I'm only asking this because I fear one day/night I'll be somewhere and and get into trouble (steering wise) because of it.

Well......the only other model I would like apart from it is the 156.....maybe next yr or the yr after.

Btw....what I should have said....when I got the tracking done yesterday looked my front tyre's and there crap!.

Plenty of tread but a **** make....Euromaster 195/55/15, Iv'e got Conti's on the back he said swap them, but failing that put some decnt rubber on the front and should sort it out a bit.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Yep, I agree with you. Part of the trade-off for quick responses on windy roads is a feeling of nervousness on motorways. When I first got my 145, after an Astra GTE, I hated it on motorways, but now it's no problem unless it's raining hard.

A

·
0 Posts
try removing the belt from the power steering pully that should stiffen things up a bit...or fit wider tyres?

P

·
0 Posts
If Beemers could go as fast as Alfa's, their Steering would be nervous too :p

BTW Tifosi has a point! The wipers are Crap! During a high speed test on the German autobahn, i had to stop at 245Km/h(speedo reading) because the wind bend the wipers so much upwards they started to vibrate and bang against the windshield! I guess it's the Italien version of a Speed Limiter :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter K said:

Oh really.... :p

The quickest Iv'e been in a car (driving) in one of my last 525's, I had to about 125-30, but I thought nope!!, the steering felt fine, but it was me that got scared not the car that felt jittery.

I'll probably have to give myself some time to used to the 146, I know the car's Iv'e over the last 5 years have been bigger/heavier.

But y'know.....I can go alot quicker on a bike than I'll ever go in a car!!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Interesting point - are the wipers on GTAs the same as for the T-Sparks?
After all they do form part of the aerodynamic profile and shouldn't do that!

Has anybody else experienced this?
In Germany obviously!

I think the ultra-quick steering of Alfas is one of their best points.
True you do need to be awake on uneven surfaces, but then again you shouldn't be sleeping when driving ;)

Cheers,
TB

Peter K said:

BTW Tifosi has a point! The wipers are Crap! During a high speed test on the German autobahn, i had to stop at 245Km/h(speedo reading) because the wind bend the wipers so much upwards they started to vibrate and bang against the windshield! I guess it's the Italien version of a Speed Limiter :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trailbraker said:
I think the ultra-quick steering of Alfas is one of their best points.
True you do need to be awake on uneven surfaces, but then again you shouldn't be sleeping when driving ;)

Yea it's good having it.......Yea your right about being awake on uneven roads, it "tramline's" something rotten...I take it that's what you mean.

But the guy who checked the tracking yesterday said that was down the **** tyre's on it just now (Euromaster's 195/55/15)...on the front.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trailbraker said:
Actually you might enjoy a chuckle with Clarkson
Yamaha R1 vs. Porsche Carrera4 on the racetrack

No I didn't....he's an anti bike w anker....and apart from that who the fcuk drive's like that.

On ordinary bike and car on ordinary road's....the bike will allway's win, simple!!....unless of course it's a pussy ridin' it!!

M

·
0 Posts
OK
the 155 suffers from crappy front wishbone bushes the wear out very very quickly. The 146 has the same wishbones so I would say they are shot.
My Silverstone had pretty ropey steering at speed until I put new wishbones on. Had to replace them on the V6 too. My current 16v is OK as the wishbones were replaced not that long before I bought it.
You will be lucky if you get 2 years outa the front wishbones. The Silverstones started to wear about 20000 miles after I changed them (a year).

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
By awake I just meant that the steering is so sharp that the car reacts so quickly so that if you sneeze it goes where you sneezed :)
Personally I think it makes the car more exciting and alive to drive.

I did find the standard front dampers for the sport kitted suspensions caused the nose to hunt a bit over uneven surfaces under braking.
Changed to AD coilovers and there was a huge difference in stability.

Cheers,
TB

Straight6 said:
Yea it's good having it.......Yea your right about being awake on uneven roads, it "tramline's" something rotten...I take it that's what you mean.

P

·
0 Posts
Trailbraker said:
Interesting point - are the wipers on GTAs the same as for the T-Sparks?
After all they do form part of the aerodynamic profile and shouldn't do that!
Dunno about the GTA's, but I've got the same type of wipers on both cars. Shold be OEM part for the normal 156's: bought from AR dealer. "Champion SK55R" and both sets are brand new

In the TS i've experienced the same problem from the right hand side wiper starting to bend up the windshield at about 225km/h, the TS ran out of juice at 233 Km/h(speedo)

In the V6 it got at lot worse after 240 km/h, the right hand side wiper got bend almost 1/3 up the windshield, and like i said at about 245 km/h both wipers went nuts and started banging aginst the windshield...the right hand side especially, which here is the one without the spoiler. I believe its the other way round in the UK?

I have checked the wiper arms for loose play, but they seem fine.

One thing is quite sure though! in my cars the wipers will NOT function at speeds over 210 km/h or so... if i had turned the wipers on doing 245 km/h, those babies would have snapped at the root!

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Maybe you can draw from my *learning* experience of the past week or so. Since getting new rear tyres fitted to my 156 i have found it to be tial happy. Initlaly i blamed crap quailty tyres so i got them replaced. Even after that, under harsh braking i found the rear to be *loose*.

Yesterday I got the 156 4 wheel aligned. The guy doing it found the rear wheels to be "toed-out" left side was 9mm, right side was 5mm.....effectively the rea rof the car was crabbing or steering itself on corners.

Today, i've driven 60 or so miles & find the car is *glued* to the raod, no matter the speed or road surface quailty. :D

My advise, get all 4 wheels tracked & see oif the car behaves better. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
i'd be inclined to agree with the skittery steering ?

my 75 will make your sphincter twitch at much over 90 !!!
(on private roads of course !) :tut:

to be fair tho, a lot of it is probably down to what tyres you choose ?

at the moment, i've got cheapies on due to budget restraints !! :(

i used to have a 75 fitted with koni's, & with 16" pirellis.
it never felt insecure at all ? :)

yoko's are good too, but they're dreadful in the wet, and they wear too quick !

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
marlon.......

It's the 146 and it's only just literaly through a mot, so everything should be fine.

Traibreaker.....

Who are AD?

Blackbeauty.....

I did get all 4 tracked just yesterday, and it was only the front's that were out a "baw hair" eg 1/2 a ml.

M

·
0 Posts
worn wishbone bushes won't fail an MOT unless they are falling out of the sockets. They are "glued" into the frame and the "glue" loosens allowing too much movement. You can't tell they are worn just be looking. I know 'cos I've changed a few 155 wishbones now and also know a couple of MOT testers ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts