Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weird and scary thing happened to me the other day...
Cold morning, just set off from home and waiting to pull out on to a busy 'A' road. Saw a gap in the traffic and endeavored to pull out - No Power!!
Car crawled to the centre of the road with cars bearing down on me
Engine still running but no power; after around 5sec - which is a hell of a long time in that situation - power came back and was able to pull away
Rather embarrassing, but could have been much more serious :(
I've noticed a couple of times in the past that the 'pull-away' from a junction has been rather pathetic, resulting in a rather irate BMW driver flashing me on one occasion

Anybody else experienced this? Or what the issue is?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Was chatting to one of the sales guy at the dealer and he had the same issue with a QF, he didn't expect it to happen and I can't recall the exact problem but he said it went into limp mode for some reason and left him in a potentially bad situation with oncoming traffic..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what mode was the car in? A, N or D ?
I was in 'N' mode with a cold engine - maybe the 'auto-choke' (or equivalent, if there is such a thing on modern cars) didn't kick in
However, I notice the 'slow pull-away' is generally not when the engine is cold...

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
It should not matter which DNA mode you are in, there is no excuse for a sudden loss of power. IIRC @Loufada or someone else on here had something similar or a sluggish response exiting a roundabout that nearly put him in the path of oncoming traffic. Think that was a Diesel engine too same as the OP. Perhaps something to do with DPF regen but on the other hand that would occur when cruising and be indicated as such on the cluster I think? If it is rare and intermittent, it will be hard diagnose. You should still get the workshop to assess the car and voice your concerns given the potential for danger caused by a re-occurence of the same issue.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
A weird and scary thing happened to me the other day...
Cold morning, just set off from home and waiting to pull out on to a busy 'A' road. Saw a gap in the traffic and endeavored to pull out - No Power!!
Car crawled to the centre of the road with cars bearing down on me
Engine still running but no power; after around 5sec - which is a hell of a long time in that situation - power came back and was able to pull away
Rather embarrassing, but could have been much more serious :(
I've noticed a couple of times in the past that the 'pull-away' from a junction has been rather pathetic, resulting in a rather irate BMW driver flashing me on one occasion

Anybody else experienced this? Or what the issue is?
Someone reported a problem of this nature months ago. If I recall, an explanation offered was that simultaneous operation of the accelerator and the brake pedals can cause the engine to go into limp mode for a few seconds.

I've not experienced the issue in the 2 years I've had the Quadrifoglio.

Andy

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've done it a couple of times in the past. If you are still on the brake (left foot) and try to accelerate away (right foot) the engine will seem to die. A quick recovery is to come off both pedals and quickly hit the accelerator and all will be well again :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done it a couple of times in the past. If you are still on the brake (left foot) and try to accelerate away (right foot) the engine will seem to die. A quick recovery is to come off both pedals and quickly hit the accelerator and all will be well again :)
Thanks @Elfred that seems a logical explanation
I'll give it some testing; although I don't use 'left foot/right foot', just 'right foot' but the concept makes sense - still shouldn't be happening though

·
Registered
64 Posts
Slow pull away is normal I have found, but not 5 seconds.

But I have accidentally had part of my foot on the brake too when wanting to accelerate.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I've had my Guilia for about 3 weeks and as my first automatic car I find you need to anticipate the creep when you come off of the brake pedal to get the best pull away. Might it just be that people expect so much more from the takeoff? Is there a way to have the engine screaming on the brakes before you get off? Not very mechanically sympathetic in my opinion but might be what you are feeling might be lacking in the launch?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Lots of automatics do that when the brake is touched at the same time as the accelerator. Even the slightest of touches.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had my Guilia for about 3 weeks and as my first automatic car I find you need to anticipate the creep when you come off of the brake pedal to get the best pull away. Might it just be that people expect so much more from the takeoff? Is there a way to have the engine screaming on the brakes before you get off? Not very mechanically sympathetic in my opinion but might be what you are feeling might be lacking in the launch?
Defo a fault - it was scary
With regard to the slow getaway on auto's - I've had a few; my last was an AMG 250 Coupe, and never had any probs with pulling away. I had to be really careful with the Merc as it would just light the rear wheels up if I wasn't delicate - totally opposite with the Giulia :(

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Apparently it does have a form of launch control, whereby you put on the brakes, rev to 3000 rpm or so and then release the brake....
Not tried it myself ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Apparently it does have a form of launch control, whereby you put on the brakes, rev to 3000 rpm or so and then release the brake....
Not tried it myself ;)
Just avoid doing it in damp conditions as it's entirely possible that the rears light up & you go nowhere if you accidentally judge the brakes just right.........:devious:

Back to OP, I had a couple fo instances of this & was told by an Alfa tech it's most likely the gearbox - the software is 'intelligent' & gauges how you drive but can take a while to wake up. Cold start & a slow trundle to the main road for me followed by a load of right foot to pull into traffic did it (twice). Since then I've tended to get to 30mph quickly (from start) & it's then fine for nipping into traffic.

Could just be coincidence though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. But with my car, the engine failure light came on. Restarted over 5 times, but light would not go off. Brought it to the dealer and was told it was an air sensor errorcode. They cleared the errorcode, but did not replace any parts because the sensor is really hard to reach. If it would happen again, I would need to come back and it would be a half day's worth of labour to replace the sensor. Haven't had any troubles since, but I am a bit scared this will happen again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to me as well. Once on motorway when going above the speed limit, lost power momentarily and engine light came on. It wasn't massive loss. The other day stuck in traffic going round the roundabout and suddenly engine light came on with massive loss of power to the point I was holding the traffic, rather embarrassing ?. Both times engine light goes off after day or two. The EGR has been blanked, DPF cleaned and car remapped. I have the 2.4 jtd ti. Not sure what else to look at. Any ideas?

·
Registered
36,086 Posts
This discussion seems to involve the Giulia and the auto transmission. I’ve found that if you touch the brake if you're about to accelerate then this will happen.
Not sure if it’s the same with your 159?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just avoid doing it in damp conditions as it's entirely possible that the rears light up & you go nowhere if you accidentally judge the brakes just right.........:devious:

Back to OP, I had a couple fo instances of this & was told by an Alfa tech it's most likely the gearbox - the software is 'intelligent' & gauges how you drive but can take a while to wake up. Cold start & a slow trundle to the main road for me followed by a load of right foot to pull into traffic did it (twice). Since then I've tended to get to 30mph quickly (from start) & it's then fine for nipping into traffic.

Could just be coincidence though.
Thanks for that post @Nobbybm - Sounds about right; this was exactly the situation I was in - Cold start; Narrow, bendy lane to the main road driving slow (below 30) for 500m; brake on; saw gap in traffic and went for it - or rather, I didn't :(

Damned AI; why can't we make that decision? :|

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I don't buy the "it takes a while to wake up" theory although it seems to kind of make sense for the lack of any other explanation. In the 2.5 years I have owned the car it has responded to every throttle input in all scenarios of previous speeds. This lack of power only seems to be reported on the diesel models so there is something related to the Engine Intelligence which is the Engine Control Module (ECM) or mechanicals (injectors, fuelling et.) rather than the gearbox 'AI' which is the Transmission Control Module (TCM). The gearbox is the same ZF 8HP50 unit on both petrol and diesels, the Qf being rated to higher torque ZF 8HP75 but still basically the same design.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't buy the "it takes a while to wake up" theory although it seems to kind of make sense for the lack of any other explanation. In the 2.5 years I have owned the car it has responded to every throttle input in all scenarios of previous speeds. This lack of power only seems to be reported on the diesel models so there is something related to the Engine Intelligence which is the Engine Control Module (ECM) or mechanicals (injectors, fuelling et.) rather than the gearbox 'AI' which is the Transmission Control Module (TCM). The gearbox is the same ZF 8HP50 unit on both petrol and diesels, the Qf being rated to higher torque ZF 8HP75 but still basically the same design.
I get it only being unique to the oil burners, but the AI reference I would have thought, refers to the whole system and not just the gearbox. The gearbox has to 'talk' to the rest of the system and gets instructions back from the ECM/TCM so that it runs as a 'whole'. So to me, the 'overall' AI Management makes sense as @Nobbybm posted - could be completely wrong, and we may never, ever know - the beauty of owning an 'Alfa' eh :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts