Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's cos I'm getting older but I seem to be noticing a lot of absolutely ****-poor lane discipline on pretty much every motorway I drive on...
What is it about the left lane that scares people? Are people just being lazy f**kers by staying put in the middle lane? Drives me mental!

Anyway, I've noticed more people 'undertaking' as a result...officer, i never do it :tut: :thumbs:
To solve this pressing problem I propose that we adopt Americas 'overtake everywhere' policy. I lived in Detroit for a while and they had a general policy of overtaking on the left ('fast' lane) but it wasn't enforced. Anyone got the solution?

·
Registered
37,361 Posts
The trouble with driving in the left lane is that you need to keep pulling out to overtake slower drivers and lorries etc. I tend to drive at around the legal limit :eek: and I think that changing lanes, getting boxed in and overtaking then pulling back in is more dangerous than doing a steady 70mph down the middle lane.

If the road is clear however then I would always drive in the left lane, and I do find people that drive under the speed limit in the middle lane annoying.

Also the left lane often has tracks worn into it by heavier vehicles and this has nasty effects on the steering.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh there are so many many bad drivers on the motorway! I also hate the people who move into lane 3 and then don't overtake the car in the middle lane so you are STUFFED!!! GRRRR!!!

SymonH I just moved from Carterton :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to drive at around the legal limit :eek:
In a Fiat 20V turbo?...:tut: :lol:

Yeah, well you're right - it's a pain if you need to keep pulling out to pass, but tis a vicious circle I tells you :rolleyes: If those tootling along stayed left you wouldn't need to etc etc.:cool:

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I think each lane should have speed limits.

60 MPH on the left.

70 MPH middle lane.

90 MPH for the third lane.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think each lane should have speed limits.

60 MPH on the left.

70 MPH middle lane.

90 MPH for the third lane.
Like it. I always thought 'in the future', ya know when we have rocket-cars and space-suits etc:cool: , that there would be two unlimited lanes where you could only join and leave at major junctions. All the trucks, oldies, and people with lame cars would stay well clear. :p

·
Registered
37,361 Posts
Oh there are so many many bad drivers on the motorway! I also hate the people who move into lane 3 and then don't overtake the car in the middle lane so you are STUFFED!!! GRRRR!!!

SymonH I just moved from Carterton :)
Really? You have probably seen me and my car around then. :thumbs:

In a Fiat 20V turbo?...:tut: :lol:

Yeah, well you're right - it's a pain if you need to keep pulling out to pass, but tis a vicious circle I tells you :rolleyes: If those tootling along stayed left you wouldn't need to etc etc.:cool:

Yeah I know what you mean. In an ideal world the middle and right lanes would be for overtaking only, but in reality the inner lane is often so choked with traffic that you cannot even get in it unless you are prepared to slow down to under the limit.

I never speed on public roads BTW. ;) :D

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I am with you until the last one, can we have no limit for the third lane? :)
Well, if there was no speed limit, then those who were doing 90 get an Audi driver (we all know it would be one, or maybe even a BMW driver!) wanting to do 130, then undertake everything.

Speed cameras spaced 'acceptably' along the duration of the M'way network, and I think all traffic will flow better.

K

·
0 Posts
If you can move from the middle lane to the inside lane, undertake someone, and then pull back out into the middle lane without anyone having to swerve, slow down or shout ********, that someone is in the wrong bloody lane.

It seems that if people know they need to be in the middle lane at a given intersection such as where the M61 junction peels off the M60 anti-clockwise at Swinton, they prepare by getting into the right lane somewhere near Leeds and from that point they won't deviate. M6 past Preston is much the same. "I need to be in one of the 2 outer lanes going past the M55 turn off. Best get into the right lane going past Chorley to be on the safe side."

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Maybe it's cos I'm getting older but I seem to be noticing a lot of absolutely ****-poor lane discipline on pretty much every motorway I drive on...
It's got worse over the last ten years and seems to be getting worse at a faster rate. I think it's probably not helped by the sheer volume of traffic.

N

·
0 Posts
I thought it was because you died of AIDS or
something if you use the nearside line in the UK :confused:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Badgers Nadgers, :thumbs: I think folk who paid for their first road fund licence in the fifties or earlier should have all roads at weekends for themselves alone, and ban everyone else.:lol: Our input to supporting the financial side of motoring has been massive. Now let me see if I can count the amount up on my bead counter?:D

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Anyway, I've noticed more people 'undertaking' as a result...officer, i never do it :tut: :thumbs:
You naughty naughty boy! I would never do such a thing as that :angel: I would never undertake them and give them a blast on my twin air horns, shout abuse, flick them the birdie, pretend to shake a ketchup bottle and then cut them up in my 44 tonne artic because that would be childish and totally irresponsible :D

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
You naughty naughty boy! I would never do such a thing as that :angel: I would never undertake them and give them a blast on my twin air horns, shout abuse, flick them the birdie, pretend to shake a ketchup bottle and then cut them up in my 44 tonne artic because that would be childish and totally irresponsible :D
It was you in the MARITIME truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :p

·
0 Posts
The winkers move straight into the middle lane as soon as they join I have noticed :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts