Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned on the (recently revived) scalextric thread that I had a 'work in progress' permenant track in my loft.

Well I felt energetic enough to get up there and take a couple of piccies for anyone that's interested. Tons of work still to be done (including an entire baseboard and tracklaying on the side that's out of shot in these pics) but I'll finish it someday (I hope :p )

Then once the track is laid I've got all the scenic work to start, so plenty to keep me occupied.

The track is recessed in foam sheets so that there's no 'lip' for the cars to slip off and beach themselves, they just slide around, and the long straight at the back of shot is just long enough to get up to full speed before braking for the corner. Hopefully the other side will have a longer straight, followed by plenty of twisties to counteract what is currently a very fast layout.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Looks like we should have an alfa meet track day at your place... :thumbs:...... very nice... :D

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Very very very :cool:!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers all. There certainly is loads to keep me going up there, it's just finding time (and cash - but the missus isn't yet 100% certain just how much this little project is costing :lol: )

I'll probaby get it finished just as Mrs HST decides to move house :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great HST, do you know you can get Alfa 159 cars for the track :)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Cheers all. There certainly is loads to keep me going up there, it's just finding time (and cash - but the missus isn't yet 100% certain just how much this little project is costing :lol: )

I'll probaby get it finished just as Mrs HST decides to move house :lol:
Just dont tell her how much it costs! Tell her half the price it actually costs :lol:

Who wears the trousers in your house? :p

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I've got laods of track in my loft - just waiting the day the loons are old enough to have a go on it...

good work Mr HST... whats the betting the bit of track that casues the most off's is the bit you can't easily reach :lol:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Looks good mate.

Mind you with no insulation in your loft you'll have to adjust your driving style to suit the icy track conditions.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
there's currently a promotion, being run by alfa to WIN some scelextrix if you have a test drive in a 159 LE, worth a punt.......

·
AO Member, 166/164 Lounge Winner 09
820 Posts
HST that's awesome I've wanted something like that for years...have lots of cars but never a permenant track.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
That is totally cool. I LOVE the attention to detail - track flush to surface, surface fitted perfectly round loft struts.

Will it work okay with just one power unit? I'm guessing you will go for the 15v 6 car digital powerbase? Can you use several powerbases with digital? probably not I guess.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will it work okay with just one power unit? I'm guessing you will go for the 15v 6 car digital powerbase? Can you use several powerbases with digital? probably not I guess.
I've considered digital, but since it's normally only myself and occasionally a buddy it's possibly not worth the outlay, the jury is still out a bit on that one.

I'll probably get a couple of transformers (one for each lane so no boost when an opponant flies off track) and hardwire in Parma controllers, rather than using a standard powerbase. Get the advantage of not having a huge unsightly black box next to the trackside then as well :thumbs:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and thanks for all the kind comments, nice to see ones hard work appreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I think that roof joist will have to go.

Sorry... but if there's an "off" going into the chicane, the car can bounce into the joist. It's a nasty accident waiting to happen.

When I was a lad, my sister crashed her Ferrari off the "Monza" banking, "Grand Prix" (the movie) style.. Her car hit the wall socket and was smashed to bits... It was terrible and tragic.. :( The replacement was miles faster than the old, surviving Lotus that was in the original set...

So.. keep the track surrounds clear of obstructions.

I'd also put some Armco and tyre barriers on the edge of the table top.. you just know someone will lunch their car down the loft hatch! :eek:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Smashing Job HST :cool:.... but you'll have trouble getting your guests back downstairs when the dinner bell rings...

I speak from personal experience :( Senior Management was not amused...... "we're on the last lap dear - honest" :rolleyes:

The only thing I did wrong was not suppressing the the cars/track very well..... I wiped out everyone's TV in the neighbourhood :cry:

So I fixed it and invited them to have a go..... couldn't get rid of 'em :lol:

Hours of fun :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It'll look good when its finished:cool: Wish I had the space like that!
Mines been sat in my wardrobe and not been used for the past nine years:( But my 155 scalextric car sits in the display cabinet:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts