Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Wife's 2.0 jtdm SW serviced at my local inde where a close mate works. The car came back with no major issues reported which was great news, however my mate did say that the air filter was soaking wet with mold on it. He went on to say that 3 of the plastic bolts on the airbox were stripped which will not have helped the air filters cause. He did also say that its location near the offside front wheel is a poor design which leaves it vulnerable to water ingress. ( the car hasnt been driven through any standing water etc other than the unavoidable usual puddles on roads in winter )

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if so have they found any mods that have helped weather proof the airbox. Thanks

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
do you have the engine under-tray fitted? that would help a lot to protect the air filter from water. also, on the 156 there is one hole on the bottom of the air filter box (might be the same with the 159) which is to drain water that goes in. you could block this hole, but I find it more dangerous than helpful. you probably just went trough a large puddle once or twice, and the air filter never got dry ever since...

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Make sure the mating surfaces are clear of dirt and grit as it collects easily and can allow water ingress. If all clear then a bead of silicone around the mating surface would help keep water out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure the mating surfaces are clear of dirt and grit as it collects easily and can allow water ingress. If all clear then a bead of silicone around the mating surface would help keep water out.
Thanks

I the undertray is in place so I'll give the bead of silicone a try

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The snorkel to air filter box connection can come loose
- its at the base so water ingress is apossibility if loose
- realtively easy job to seal it once you have access to it

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would use silicone grease to assist sealing the bottom of the air box , as silicone sealant will set and future removal will be a right pain .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts