Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a portable Sat nav thingy, anybody got any recomendations?.
I need Voice commands, and would appreciate the speed Camara locations as well.
The Tom tom, or the Navman icn 520, both seem to fit the bill.
I dont want to pay much more than about £300.00.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
TOMTOM GO is pretty much the people favourite.

The TT GO 300 is little over £300, but probably cheaper eBay, you can get the speed cam locations for free here: http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php
Theres a good forum there for advice too.

It is updated each month: (dont pay for the TOMTOM versions)

There are a whole host of different voices, on my PDA version of TOMTOM 5 I currently have the uncensored Ossie Osbourne - "T Ta Take the fuu fur furnkin 3rd exit" :D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
G

·
I got the TomTom Mobile 5 installed in a Nokia 7610 smartphone. Works brilliantly!

Including the cost of the phone(£220) and the Mobile 5 kit[£190) the total came to £410, which was less expensive then the TomTom 300 system! Plus i dont have to live with that windscreen mounted display unit. Looks too "aftermarked" IMO, and ruins the otherwise clean style of the interior.

Just used the Walking and cycling mode the other day in the inner city of Copenhagen. Damn it's usefull! Been living in Copenhagen most of my life, and this machine is now showing me shortcuts i never knew :cool:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Peter K said:
I got the TomTom Mobile 5 installed in a Nokia 7610 smartphone. Works brilliantly!

Including the cost of the phone(£220) and the Mobile 5 kit[£190) the total came to £410, which was less expensive then the TomTom 300 system! Plus i dont have to live with that windscreen mounted display unit. Looks too "aftermarked" IMO, and ruins the otherwise clean style of the interior.

Just used the Walking and cycling mode the other day in the inner city of Copenhagen. Damn it's usefull! Been living in Copenhagen most of my life, and this machine is now showing me shortcuts i never knew :cool:
How can you live in that flat dullsville?

Good restaurant called Fuego though.....

G

·
T07 said:
How can you live in that flat dullsville?

Good restaurant called Fuego though.....
Fuego?? That new Argentinian Tango place? Thats a horrible Tourist Trap!.. It got a score well below average in the most respected local restaurant guide.

Next time go for Fish/sushi Restaurants, or Italian, they have a high standard here. That is if you can drag yourself away from exiting Norwich :p

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
VeloceMitch said:
Thinking of getting a portable Sat nav thingy, anybody got any recomendations?.
I need Voice commands, and would appreciate the speed Camara locations as well.
The Tom tom, or the Navman icn 520, both seem to fit the bill.
I dont want to pay much more than about £300.00.

bought my wife the Navman icn 520 about 5/6 weeks ago, its superb, easy to use and pretty accurate, you can download the camera locations from http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, we are going away for a week, so I can't see me getting around to before we go.
So unless I pick up one while we are away, I will ahve a look when we get back. :)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Get a pocketpc and a GPS...

check your PM

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
VeloceMitch said:
Haven't got a PM KGB??? :confused:

I have to sign out now for a week, but I will pick things up again later. :)

stuped me forget to PM you as I went to eat something and then...my appologies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts