Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to decide on what model is best but the web seems to be full of dodgy conflicting reviews and information. :mad: I can't find a good comparison of the key models anywhere - surely someone has done one? Trusted reviews has a bit of info but not great...

Be good to hear any views on these as I need one desperately as I think I might have been caught twice or even 3 times in the last 2 weeks...JOY OF JOYS!!

I've been looking at the TomTom XL IQ, Snooper Strabo and Garmin nuvi. I've discounted the Navman stuff as it's not Mac compatible.

Cheers
blujez

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would say TomTom.

I have used lots of different sat navs and TomTom's are always clear and give you the best information so you don't miss that pesky junction.

Whilst Garmins seem to try too hard and make things look more complicated (and thus impressive) but in split second decisions, its a complete pain imo.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Road Angel Pro - connected is the absolute biz:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've used TomTom for several years and now have the TomTom application on my phone. The great thing about this is that when you park up you take the phone with you anyway and don't have to worry about leaving your SatNav in the car. Traffic cameras are updated regulary and you can also get live traffic reports.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Her jalopy got a fixed penalty ticket through today. Return trip from our regimental reunion the other weekend! :mad: 36 in a 30. Now how on earth she slipped up with that I'm sure I don't know.:confused: I was dozing at the time, but normally she is so conscientious adhering to the limits. Can't have my chauffeuse with points on her licence now can I? :(:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Is'nt it a real shame we have to resort to electonic devices, rather than just enjoy driving our Cars though !!!!.....:rant:

I'm getting a bit paranoid about getting caught speeding nowdays, as I drive through LOADS of the damn things everyday, and that is just around and about Swansea suburbs.........:eek:

U

·
0 Posts
I have a TomTom but because the volume is usually turned down I have also got an Inforad GPS camera detector as well. (don't tell your wives/girlfriends but the Inforad can also log your journey and tell you such things as your average and maximum speeds - and WHERE THE CAR HAS BEEN!)

·
Registered
310 Posts
TomTom 540 live, but have known it miss a mobile camera site (fortunately I was behind a caravan when I went through it).

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
uhum!

What is the best licence protector currently available, with emphasis on mobile units rather than fixed cameras?

PS: Apart from right foot!:rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
Road Angel Plus or Pro for camera detection and large speed icon and I'd go either Garmin or TomTom for the satnav. If however you wan't an all in one then perhaps Navman???

·
Registered
848 Posts
Makes me wonder if all these speed cameras are really making the roads safer... drivers end up slowing down to the speed limit instead of matching the current traffic speed. All it takes is for someone to slam the brakes to avoid going a bit too fast (36 over 30 isn't much), everyone behind will also have to brake hard and pray they can stop in time. Instant metal sandwich then?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I use Tomtom with success using a camera database I download from Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras. The database is built by users submitting cameras and mobile sites they spot on their travels. The camera has to be verified before it is added to the database. You can get a single download for £3 or £24 IIRC for a years subscription with unlimited downloads, however, if you submit a new camera which is then verified and and added to the database, you get a free lifetime subscription.

Easily installed too.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I use PocketGPSworld data on our Garmin too:D

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Do these work with police van parked at side of road and hairdryer speeding devices, infrared i think? im sure there is other? i remember reading about some kind of jammer that was like a electric garage opening thingy!:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers for all your advice

Think I might go for the TomTom XL IQ. I would do it the iPhone route but I think they're having a laugh at £100 or whatever and then suggesting I get the kit on top...jokers.

I did actually find a slightly useful group test if anyone is interested:
FiveFWD - The Gadget Show's Satnav best buys

Cheers for your comments - really useful. Let's see what horror awaits me in the post...

:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts