Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know if the sat nav attachment on the dashboard can be fitted after delivery, dealer said no, bought the car already in stock and built

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want the Blue Me Tom Tom you must have a specific socket on the dashboard.
This socket is factory fitter and cannot be fitted by a dealer.

So it is not possible to retrofit both Radio-Nav and Blue Me TomTom socket (port).

T

·
0 Posts
I bet it could be if you really tried. I'd expect the wiring loom to be in place already for sure.

However, whether it is worth doing is another matter - isn't the Alfa Tom Tom a very high price?

·
Administrator
86,753 Posts
I bet it could be if you really tried. I'd expect the wiring loom to be in place already for sure.
Don't be so sure, the Mito can't have cruise control retro fitted, unlike the 147/156 which was a case of buy the stalk & the cowl & plug&play. I know that's not exactly the same but it seems "home/dealer upgrades aren't as easy/possible as in the past.

However, whether it is worth doing is another matter - isn't the Alfa Tom Tom a very high price?
If I get a Giulietta I'll definitely be ordering it with the port, it's so cheap it'd be silly not to, worth it just to do away with the cables & the window mount :thumbs:

W

·
0 Posts
My Giulietta gets delivered tomorrow and I specced the TomTom port because it can't be retro-fitted.

You can either buy the Alfa TomTom which works with the steering wheel controls and the Blue&Me system due to the software being different to a normal TomTom.
The Alfa TomTom comes with the cradle to plug into the port, total cost is £257.

When you buy a suitable and compatible TomTom like a Go750 (European Maps) you need to purchase the cradle separately which costs £43 + postage.
Depending upon where you buy the Tom Tom you are either a few pounds more or less expensive than buying the AR TomTom which doesn't come with the HD traffic function which the Go750 does but I believe you can subscribe to the HD traffic function with the AR unit.
That being said a TomTom that is not AR can't be controlled using the steering wheel nor does it have some of the functionality specific to the AR system such as low fuel warning and navigation to a petrol station.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Giulietta gets delivered tomorrow and I specced the TomTom port because it can't be retro-fitted.
Ditto. My only concern is how stable the cradle will be on the dashboard given that it appears the only mechanical connection is the electrical adaptor itself. I could be wrong about that but that is how it looked when I had a peak at my car earlier this week. Anyway, I should get a chance to try out a unit the dealer is buying before I buy the unit outright.

T

·
0 Posts
Yes quite a high mass object attached by a tiny connector located right off the centre of gravity........check your windscreen cover!

Or conversely give the third rear passenger a face guard for those full bore acceleration runs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replys, cant understand why its not a standard feature for cars without inbuilt sat nav considering the small cost , which the dealers would probably re-coup by flogging the tom tom units

·
Registered
4 Posts
Advice

You can either buy the Alfa TomTom which works with the steering wheel controls and the Blue&Me system due to the software being different to a normal TomTom.
The Alfa TomTom comes with the cradle to plug into the port, total cost is £257.

When you buy a suitable and compatible TomTom like a Go750 (European Maps) you need to purchase the cradle separately which costs £43 + postage.
Depending upon where you buy the Tom Tom you are either a few pounds more or less expensive than buying the AR TomTom which doesn't come with the HD traffic function which the Go750 does but I believe you can subscribe to the HD traffic function with the AR unit.
That being said a TomTom that is not AR can't be controlled using the steering wheel nor does it have some of the functionality specific to the AR system such as low fuel warning and navigation to a petrol station.

Hope this helps
With regards to your views, Let me see whether I have got this right.
For Giulietta, did you get the Blue&me Port for Tom-tom and then bought the actual device separately or did you get the whole thing fitted and accessorise with them.
I went to the dealer, having a patchy conversation ( little did they know about the techincal aaspects) I understood, Blue&me is a set up and port costs ~£75 and then the actual custom made tom tom device costs around~400, which apparently you cannot buy anywhere else except Alfa dealer...huge mark up in that case.

How did you mamage to get in £275. I won't mind paying that for all.

Kindly clarify...Hope I haven't confused you with the above

R

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got one and with the dashboard wiring and docking port which is around £75 you loose the top glove box on the dashboard. It links in with a dedicated Blue & Me bluetooth connection (don't use the standard Bluetooth connection from the TomTom settings menu - the Blue & Me option is a couple of pages on) and you can say 'Sat Nav' when the Windows/Blue & Me steering wheel button is pressed, after which you need to perform the rest manually with the steering wheel arrow and OK keys (you can still navigate to TomTom voice control feature though). The TomTom itself has a voice activation button and speed camera button on the main map screen by default so you can press these while driving to mark camera locations or to perform TomTom voice commands. Unfortuantely I haven't had time to have a good play with it yet but hopefully will over the next week or so. A neat feature is the car on the Blue & Me map TomTom is a Giulietta :)

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I speccd a AR Tom Tom and can report that the mounting is excellent totally secure and dead easy to mount and unmount. Too early to report on the Tom Tom itself but have noticed one Alfaism - the Tom Tom reports distances in miles if you set it to but the display sent to the driver display is in km

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Simon G. It was very useful. I was actually put off by the price initially quoted to me.
Can I ask you something else. Does this tom-tom mount swivel to suit the driver's need?
I am still in the process of accessorising Giulietta.

Ta

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back again, I asked to cough up 332.67 despite showing them the link which highlights the price as 257.62
according to the dealer, price of tom tom sat nav +Blue&me set is 257.62+75 (mounting price)
:wow:......and the tomotom is not is top end range...just customised to alfa...what if it breakdown....who takes responsibility to replace, i guess you can't buy this range in halfords either...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts