Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually can't wait for this time of the year, as I KNOW SARS owes me some serious dollar.

I submit my returns about 5hrs before it actually opens for the public, to be greeted with a large - figure!:thumbup:

However, every year, the requirement from the individual changes...

Last year I didn't submit a 'SARS approved' logbook, infact I submitted my SAP exports to Xcell including my dates travelled, distance, reasons etc...opening and closing km's.

It was accepted.

This morning a very rude Afrikaans antie calls me cross questioning me for a SARS e-Logbook.

I remit and continue downloading the pdf with Java interaction...this is the biggest POS ever.

I fill in all details, take me nigh on 1h30hrs, just to save the doc and reopen it to find all my km data all mixed up with plenty of Java errors!!!

Is my Adobe Reader xi incapable of running this Java scripts, or...is the doc just stupid?

Advice please, correspondence with SARS is total BS too...

Oh, another issue, uploading of doc via eFiling has a 2mb limit...after the completion of their e-Logbook the file size is 2.5mb...so, explain that to a rude antie who wants to catch you out on any angle.

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Lance, use their layout, but make an excel spreadsheet that looks like their logbook. do your trips in there, save it as a PDF and submit it as if it is their standard PDF..... works for me every year.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did this last year Eric, now they have all sorts of issues. She outright refuses to accept an Xcell sheet, the auditer.

I called this morning and the call centre lady said I can print the filled in doc instead of saving it...then scan and upload the scan, which is basically a printed version of the actual version they want...just in black and white. Now...I'm waiting for the auditer to 'open' the doc submission options so that I can submit this.:furious:

·
5,467 Posts
Thats why I said you should use their PDF as a guide, create the spreadsheet EXACTLY like their logbook, and when you are done , save it as a PDF as well..... That PDF will then look like their template and there are no complaints.... I have done this for three years now and no issues at all..... they honestly would not know the difference between your PDF and their original.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Eric, do you use their logbook save it as picture and use it as background in excel?
Or else, how do you make it look like the SARS one?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He uses the exact colums...date/opening km's/closing km's/ business km's/from/to/reason for travel etc.

Their logbook uses Java scripts to calc the dates relative to the previous and the business km's travelled, when you save your doc it gets screwed for some or other reason.

I filled it in, printed and scanned...looks just like a saved copy, but now, I'm waiting for the Auditer to open my eFiling doc submissions so that I can submit this.:devious:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have to do mine in this month or next. But I don't get anything back from SARS. Maybe mine is reimbursed travel allowance. Used to get a lot from my ex employer, but not with the current one.

·
5,467 Posts
I used my trusty old spreadsheet, submitted to SARS, already have my money safely in the bank account (that is, safe until my wife spends it again)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I have to do mine in this month or next. But I don't get anything back from SARS. Maybe mine is reimbursed travel allowance. Used to get a lot from my ex employer, but not with the current one.
If you drive around for work using your car and your employer then pays you money through the year depending on how much you've driven, that's reimbursive and not taxable, so it will reflect on your IRP5 as such. The specific code is 3703. You then do not get anything back from SARS, it's just to ensure they don't tax you "double", as you paid for the travel expense already out of your after tax income, so they can't tax the reimbursement of that again.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you drive around for work using your car and your employer then pays you money through the year depending on how much you've driven, that's reimbursive and not taxable, so it will reflect on your IRP5 as such. The specific code is 3703. You then do not get anything back from SARS, it's just to ensure they don't tax you "double", as you paid for the travel expense already out of your after tax income, so they can't tax the reimbursement of that again.
Hhhhmmm I could never understand this tbh. Before I had car allowance, I used to claim travel from work on a monthly basis AND I would stipulate this on eFiling and get money back.

Then I got my car allowance and STILL claim the 'extra' business km's and stipulate this to SARS and get money back.

I have it like this, expensive car plus lots of travel = travel return from SARS.:beer:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hhhhmmm I could never understand this tbh. Before I had car allowance, I used to claim travel from work on a monthly basis AND I would stipulate this on eFiling and get money back.
It may be that your employer did not withhold the PAYE on the money they paid to you for your travel. Therefore you were actually taxed twice, with SARS then paying back the incorrectly deducted tax on the reimbursement.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SARS Status - Return Assessed.

Since last week Friday already...where's my money:readit:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. That means I won't get anything from SARS.:furious:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. That means I won't get anything from SARS.:furious:
It may be worth checking that your employer did not, by mistake, deduct PAYE at your marginal rate from the reimbursive amount through the year. Probably not, if your HR people are decent at their jobs.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have any contacts at SARS? I've been waiting for a whole week now for the system to open and allow me to submit my log book.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh the LOLS from SARS

Now I get a reassessed ITA34...now I OWE SARS close to R30k:censored:

All this...because my LOGBOOK was in the incorrect format NOT stating opening and closing km's!

I have ofcourse logged a dispute and submitted the correct format LOGBOOK stating my opening and closeing km's as stated in my Income Tax Return which states I should get more or less that amount back...

This is the problem I have with SARS and I need to take this up with someone. The channel for communication is not working. You cannot have a rude afrikaaner antie call me demanding documents in the correct format when its the same format I used the previous 3 years. When I want to submit these documents you do not want me to submit it due to the following:
  • The SARS supplied logbook does not work
  • the SARS supplied logbook exceeds the required upload file size
I have submitted my dispute and politely asked for my money they owe me.

Let's see how far this saga will continue.:thumbup::smoker:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
:biglaugh:
Went to Trevor Noah's show recently and he said that SARS is the only efficient department of the government.

"Please press 1 to make a payment......"
"Please press 2 to make a payment......"
"Please press 3 to request a payment - ah we only joking - press 3 to make a payment....."

:lol:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You cannot have a rude afrikaaner antie call me demanding documents
Agge shame -did she bully you ? We all deal with rude people of all races and languages every single day of our lifes.
Don't see why you have to keep on hammering on the Afrikaaner lady now ?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agge shame -did she bully you ? We all deal with rude people of all races and languages every single day of our lifes.
No...I agree with you, ma die antie was iets anders...she 1st of all refused to tell me in English what I need to submit...:censored:

To use her language...'nee man, wat moet ek maak met die dokumente wat jy gesubmit het, dus als vekeerd, gan net en sit die regte dokumente op' then she said bey...:smash:

I got off the call now with SARS and just as I thought, that antie did NOT open the eFiling to submit the correct version of the Logbook, instead, she just served me a cold dish and made as if my Logbook was not submitted.

SARS reasoning - Logbook disallowed, Log insufficient. Yes I know, I then asked for it to open so that I can submit the Logbook you require!!!:censored::censored::censored::readit::furious:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't see why you have to keep on hammering on the Afrikaaner lady now ?
:readit:

"keep on hammering" ???

Ah...oh yes...its you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts