Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a Sanef windscreen tag on their Giulia for the French Autoroute tolls? I'm curious as to how well they work on the Giulia windscreen.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there not a shaded area around the rear view mirror?

I switched to this one because it works in Spain too:

https://www.bipandgo.com/en/abonnem...MIxYqT74K32wIVhgrTCh1_ZwFEEAAYAiAAEgISCPD_BwE

No there is not. I already got the Sanef one and the instructions indicate that the type of windscreen without a shaded area may not work so well. It says that without the shaded area its not an Athermic windscreen. What I dont understand is that I believe an Athermic screen can dampen a signal. I think Giulia's only have an Athermic screen with the climate pack, I dont have a climate pack.

So SilverChariots news is good, but I guess he has a climate pack.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update and conflicting information. This makes more sense:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/faq/

In the FAQ's 'installation' makes it clear, the leaflet with the device was a little ambiguous.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The tag technology has been improved over the last 5-6 years.

You may find issue with the "at-speed" toll gates but iirc someone on here said it was no issue in their Giulia.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The other tip I've posted before is to leave it in the RF-shielded ziplock it come in when not it use.
(Or wrapped in foil.)

This helps prolong battery life by not having it activate through other spurious RF signals.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
How do they charge you for use of these things, currency wise? When I last looked into them several years ago they gave virtually tourist rates on exchange (i.e crap).

I still think a non charging credit card is virtually as easy....

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
You'll get charged in Euros onto your credit card.

I've never had one for saving money. It all about time saving.
You can shave ~ 25 mins off a 4 hour motorway blast if you have at-speed toll booths.

And if there are massive holiday queues you can save even more time. Possible hours.

Mine is mounted here - it's the white thing at the top of the windscreeen. It's a QF btw and works fine.
Same as mine. Near the black area is the place to put it.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You pay a 10€ admin fee (read £10) then 5€ per month up to 2 months. The tolls are charged in € and "we use a mid market exchange rate +2%, which is lower than credit card costs", they say. We pay by DD at month end.

As TGR says, it is about convenience. Not just the queue but having to pull the car in on the blind side, dont want to be to close to scrape the car and more often than not poor Mrs having to lean out the window to get a ticket, then rummaging for change. No, we're going on holiday, we'll pay 8€ for a gelato, I'm quite happy to pay a little to take stress out of the journey, I'm leaving that at home.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
You only pay on the BipNGo type if you use it that month.
Otherwise there's no monthly charge.
I think you must use it every 10 month or something.

I've never seen very long queues at French toll booths
You've not lived. I got caught many years ago in the MX-3 in August with no AC..
Never again.

Here's the peak traffic website BTW.

Accueil - Bison Futé

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Also, keep your eyes open for badge-only gates on the right.
These are put there for trucks but are sometimes empty so you
can jump the queues by using them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts