Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads, I hear on the news the dreaded SALT word being used to treat the roads. This is a regular thing in the uk which is why their cars suffer rust more than over here. Although cars nowadays are treated whats the risk to our cars from driving on these treated roads?
particularly underneath?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If you do go out on it, i think its worth cleaning it down properly once the weather clears. Parts of mine are already rotting but ill still be cleaning the underside. Whats the 155 like in the snow? the 33 is brutal :lol:

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts
Isn't the grit they have been using all along really salt anyway or at least contain a high salt content :confused:
I'd rather be driving on treated roads than untreated roads regardless :thumbs:

But when the weather does sort itself out ( whenever that happens, February :eek: ) I'll be driving the car up on ramps & power washing the underneath as well as the rest of the car :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
AFAIK salt alone, can cause dangers, but salt mixed with sand doesn`t do anything to the car. Depends on what they`re using.

D

·
0 Posts
Meh I don't drive mine use the work yolk she loves the salt lmao :p But it wouldn't matter whether it is a mix or not it will rot the car either way.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The NRA have said that sand is next to useless and that they only use salt.

I was surprised, as what is being spread on the M50 looks like sand in colour, but I was informed that unrefined salt is this colour.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hhmmm I might be walking to work daily this week so. David the grit they are using up here is just like really small pebbles, I think its ground down stones and rocks, I was walking on the stuff today. If they are using urefined salt I'd be worried, very worried. Roads in Tallaght are full of the stuff all week

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts
I thought what they were referring to as grit was rock salt :confused: I might be wrong though.
I can't see it doing that much harm in a week or two though especially if given a good power wash when the weather has sorted itself out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts