Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Long time since last post! Last 156 was sold around a year ago, but now have purchased a 2005 156 1.9JTDm saloon for the wife. Happy with it so far and have just swapped out the multi hole standard 15" wheels for 17" Alfa GT wheels. Looks sweet on them :)

But main reason for posting is that the rear of the car is sagging badly when loaded wth the kids(approx 30stones) :eek: The old 2.4 JTD did the same.
Now was wondering if it's just tired old springs? Or just the norm for 156's?
If its the norm, then was wondering if the spring rate on the Sportwagon is a little higher for loading capacity, and can they be used on the saloon. Or are the Sportwagon shocks n springs a totally different fitments to the saloon?

TIA

Glenn

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Not sure about original equipment, apart from some Sportwagons had self levelling suspension, but if you were to buy new aftermarket springs from Eibach or H&R then the rear springs would be the same for saloon and Sportwagon from a 1.6 TS up to a 3.2 GTA. Only the front springs have different spring rates for different engines, doesn't matter whether it's a saloon or Sportwagon though.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
If its the norm, then was wondering if the spring rate on the Sportwagon is a little higher for loading capacity, and can they be used on the saloon.
Sportwagons can carry 5kg less than a Saloon.

For a 16v JTD is it 500kg for a Saloon and 495kg for a Sportwagon...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about original equipment, apart from some Sportwagons had self levelling suspension, but if you were to buy new aftermarket springs from Eibach or H&R then the rear springs would be the same for saloon and Sportwagon from a 1.6 TS up to a 3.2 GTA. Only the front springs have different spring rates for different engines, doesn't matter whether it's a saloon or Sportwagon though.

Really? Wow. That does surprise me:confused: They would be a stiffer spring rate than stock thou, i guess? Are they lowered springs or stock height? Not wanting to go lower with this Alfa, as Mrs in enjoying more the stock look this time. As last time i fitted lowered n uprated coilovers and Evo spoiler. Also running 215/50/17's, so speedo reads better and fills out the arches better than stock size.

cheers

Glenn

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Also running 215/50/17's, so speedo reads better and fills out the arches better than stock size.
They will be far too tall.

If you want larger than the std 215/45R17, then the GTA 225/45R17 are a better choice and are the same diameter as the std 205/55R16.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sportwagons can carry 5kg less than a Saloon.

For a 16v JTD is it 500kg for a Saloon and 495kg for a Sportwagon...
I can understand that as the Wagon weighs 50kg more than the Saloon. So wondering if rear spring rates are higher to start with to counteract the added weight of the Wagon?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They will be far too tall.

If you want larger than the std 215/45R17, then the GTA 225/45R17 are a better choice and are the same diameter as the std 205/55R16.
They are spot on for what we want.. I ran the same set-up for 3 years on 156 2.4JTD. Overall diameter is 20mm larger than standard.
GTA set up are 2mm larger overall.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If you want stock height then forget about my post, I know nothing about what springs were originally used.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
++++ famalegoods.com ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

---**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 ---**** NFL Jersey $ 35

---**** NBA Jersey $ 34 ---**** MLB Jersey $ 35

---**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 ---**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

---**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 ---**** Jacket_m $ 36

---**** Hoody_m $ 50 ---**** Manicure Set $ 20