1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Any good 10w40 semi synthetic will do, Castrol etc

·
Registered
528 Posts
Various people on this forum will tell you selenia is the only thing to use. I think that's nonesense but that's only my opinion. Selenia is an Italian company with a commercial tie-up with Alfa. The oil costs loads because it's imported into UK in comparitively small quantities specialy for Alfa. The high price convinces people it's got magic properties. It's a bit like BMW policy inthe late eighties of selling UK cars 30% dearer than the rest of Europe to maintain their prestige image. (personal importing scuppered that eventually!). You will now receive 15 posts from people who swear by it, but I've never used it in any of my alfas (15 over the years). Never had engine problems at all (electrical YES).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Various people on this forum will tell you selenia is the only thing to use. I think that's nonesense but that's only my opinion. QUOTE]

+1

Makes absolutely zilcho difference in my book, I've spent extended periods with a variety of engine oils, including selenia. As long as you don't use the cheapest of the cheap crap any good brand will do.

G

·
My 147 2.0TS had Selenia, Elf and Total (Same thing) in it over 5 years and it
never ever missed a beat.

Get the right grade in there and also check the oil level at least every other tank of fuel.

If you're worried about only using the Italian brand mentioned in the handbook
then you should also probably also only be using Agip fuel. ;)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
i recently serviced my GT and used selenia for 2 reasons:

1. the handbook said so. but i'm sure any similar grade would've been fine, but the main reason,

2. I needed 5 litres ...selenia do a 5 litre tub. most other brands do a 4 litre and 1 litre ....which worked out more expensive!!

i paid £37 for selenia (plus shipping, but i ordered all the other service items too) which i don't think is expensive at all. my old mini cooper would cost £57 for oil.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Asda near me are selling 5 litres of Mobil S 10w-40 semi synthetic for £17 at the moment.

And that is for 5 litres.

£37 for 5 litres of Selenia is very expensive for a semi synthetic.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Asda near me are selling 5 litres of Mobil S 10w-40 semi synthetic for £17 at the moment.

And that is for 5 litres.

£37 for 5 litres of Selenia is very expensive for a semi synthetic.
The chap I bought the 156 from says he has never had variator problems since using Mobil 10w 40. More to the point, he swears by filling just shy over the max mark to avoid problems. I told the guy I sold the GTV to to give it a go. He filled just over and the variator noise all but went. He then had an oil change and used the Mobil 10W 40 and the start up diesel sound totally went away! I plan on using Mobil from now on in all my cars... :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
my indie use it but when i top her up she just gets millers 10 40 semi

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would recommend COMMA OIL, an name not familiar with everyone....but they make bloody good oil at THE RIGHT PRICE!

I use it in my SVX which is particular about the oil that goes in it....engine, auto box and two diffs.
As long as the oil is certified form use in the UK, then there should be no problem, and regular oil changes will prolong the life of the engine just as much as any expensive oil, no doubt someone out there will disagree.

You be surprise what brands of oil are used in the the trade workshop!;)

John:)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
My local motorfactor used to stock comma oil.

They have since started stocking Granville oil. I am using the Granville 10w-40 semi in the Fiat Bravo.

Whatever oil you use make sure it is approved to ACEA A3 That is the spec for high performance gasoline oils. Most mineral 10w-40 oils will not meet it, instead they will meet ACEA A2 which is the spec for regular performance gasoline oils

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Castrol Magnatec 10W40 is pretty much the standard answer. Excellent oil, usually available cheap somewhere. No point spending vast amounts on Selenia...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Selenia oil

I've used Selenia as long as I've owned Alfas. Yes, there's probably a bit of Alfa/Selenia commercial tie up going on but my independent mechanic also says it's the stuff you should use. I used a cheaper suitable alternative once in one of my cars and the oil consumption went up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i bought XADO semi syntetic 10w40,gonna use it in my new engine.... earlyer i had elf excillium ,but the engine broke down etc..........but not because of oil...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I must admit oil has always confused me in the alfa...

Both my 1.6 and 2.0TS absolutely love the stuff and I get through gallons.

However, The book says to use FULLY synthetic 10W-40, and recommends selina...

I can't seem to find ANY fully synthetic 10W-40...they are all semi?

As a result, I have been using Mobil 1, which is fully synthetic, but rated at 0W-40....now, my impression is that this shouldn't make a difference..if it has a wider multigrade variation, that's gotta be better right??

It works fine...i've not had any problems, apart from drinking oil at a great rate.

Which reminds me...another problem...does anyone else find it nearly impossible to get good consistent readings from Alfa Romeo dipsticks????

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
0w-40 will be fine.

Most fully synthetics will be 5w-40 which is also fine to use.

If you park the car overnight and check the oil first thing you should get an accurate reading, although often one side of the dipstick will quite often read lower than the other. I normally go by the lowest reading.

Opie oils are currently selling Silkolene Pro S for around £38 for 5 litres.
That is a true synthetic Ester based oil so is a bargain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts