Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to alfas - and have just got a 1999 gtv v6 24 valve 6 speed. This is probably a dumb question from a newbie - but i do love this car & am a bit paranoid. In traffic (during rain) I'm showing 90 degrees centigrade on average - with the temperature going up and down between 80 and 95ish. Is this 'normal' ? (I drove it back after buying it on a long, fast motorway run and can't remember the temperature being that high - but I have to admit I was enjoying myself too much to have kept notes). And one other thing... there does seem to be more exhaust fumes coming out of the tailpipe than I'm used to - but only when stationery - and it is cold). Normal? Any advice welcome thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep! Seems fine. As a rule for mine, it is 70 on the motorway, 90 in traffic, and when it is cold a fair few fumes do come out of the exhaust!

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
Also don't nessesarily trust the gauge.

My gauge reads about 10ºC too low compared to what the ECU is seeing from the coolant temp sensor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi there, my temp gauge reads like that, in traffic it swings between 90 and 100, as soon as the fan kicks in it's down below 90 within a minute or two. On the motorway, it reads 60-65 sometimes lower when my right foots suddenly cramps up!
It's what you'll call normal in a week or two, and you'll start distrusting other cars temp gauges.

I jump in Mrs Goudy's Garlic Frogbox and the temp go up to 3/4 and stays there not matter what, traffic, motorway, fan on, fan off.

R

·
0 Posts
Mine is very similar in both the temperature and the water vapour that comes out the back. As for the steam, have a look under your car and count the number of water trapping boxes and look at how the tail pipe angles upwards. If you are doing relatively short trips in this weather you may never get it to dry out properly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep same here as well, in fact as a new owner as well I was idly wondering about both points and have been reassured by this thread! :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi there, my temp gauge reads like that, in traffic it swings between 90 and 100, as soon as the fan kicks in it's down below 90 within a minute or two. On the motorway, it reads 60-65 sometimes lower when my right foots suddenly cramps up!
It's what you'll call normal in a week or two, and you'll start distrusting other cars temp gauges.

I jump in Mrs Goudy's Garlic Frogbox and the temp go up to 3/4 and stays there not matter what, traffic, motorway, fan on, fan off.
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, mine did that when I bought it. It should read 75-90 on the motorway and not go beyond 90ish in traffic, its a common problem. Luckily its quite a cheap part ~£20 and is dead easy to fit on the V6. Probably worth flushing the cooling system and replacing if its not been done in a while too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

I've been out of action for a bit so apologies for not saying thanks to everyone who posted advice. Much appreciated. Another reason (if you needed one) for owning an Alfa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I put a new thermostat in about a year ago. Temp usually about 85 when in moving traffic. Sitting idle it normally takes a few minutes to climb to 90 degrees, electric fan comes on, and sits pretty solid at that temp. out of traffic and moving the temp sits pretty stable around 85..

Believe that there is quite a bit of variation in accuracy of temperature gauges.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine had a rotten radiator and was at 90 on motorway and went over 100 in traffic until the cooler kicked in.
With the new radiator ist's allways between 70 and 80 on motorway and sticks to 90 in traffic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts