Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i was wondering if anybody could help me- im installing a HID xenon kit to my spider and need to get a 12v feed for the relay. The wiring is supposed to go to the battery 12v, but is not long enough to reach back to behind the drivers seat. Can anyone think of anywhere where i can get a safe constant 12v feed, without using the stock wiring?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I take it it's the low beam bulb you are upgrading? If so and this stays on when you flick on the high beam, which I think is on the other part of the headlamp, then you could use the existing low beam supply to switch the relay and power the HID control pack. These bulbs take a few seconds to arch and reach full brightness so they are no use for fast switching on/off. IE they normally run on low beam setting and stay on when high beam is required either by the use of another bulb or another tungsten filament within the HID bulb.

Regards Andy

B

·
0 Posts
:confused: What HID kit are you using?

Most of the aftermarket products are "plug & play" using the existing lighting feeds,all the electronics being contained within a ballast unit the size of a fag packet which is basically inserted between the original bulbs plug and the new HID globe.

:p Or is this a Heath Robinson jobby using bits of old Audis or dead Alfa 166's ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, thanks for your time- no its not a mix and match job, the kit is a phillips, the wiring they give you is thicker than the stock wiring, thats why i wanted to use the new wiring harness. The stock wiring probably will cope- but i want to use the recommended harness just to be safe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the new unit has the current drain information then you can compair it with the current a standard 60 watt bulb will use with current = power divided by voltage. It may just be that phillips have used larger wire than required for the job. Also make sure that it is just not the wire insulation is thicker giving the impression that the actual conductor wire is thicker!

Regards Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts