Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Last I saw, it was still in BETA?

Or was this just the M$ version?

Never got on with the previous version to buggy (again, probably due to being on the dark side)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Won't work on Win 98... :lol:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I'm currently using Google Chrome, which is based on the Safari browser engine.

I chose it over Firefox mainly because FF sucked up so many system resources and took an absolute age to launch. Chrome uses far less, boots faster and is a much faster browser. The only drawback is the lack of add-ons compared to FF.

N

·
0 Posts
As with O/Ss I just don't see the point in continually changing.

Also I need cross platform availability.

I stuck with Netscape for ages until they stopped
all support. Then switched to Opera for a while (which even worked
on the Psion5 {@AV: :p} ) before ending up with FFox.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
As with O/Ss I just don't see the point in continually changing.

Also I need cross platform availability.

I stuck with Netscape for ages until they stopped
all support. Then switched to Opera for a while (which even worked
on the Psion5 {@AV: :p} ) before ending up with FFox.
:lol: * grumbles bloody Psion
I too stuck with Netscape for blooming years! It was a great browser :thumbs:
I think they continued support on the Mac a little longer didn't they :confused:
I did Opera for a very short while and Firefox, but as you know I almost always (99.9% of the time) use Safari now :p

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'm currently using Google Chrome....

... which ALSO doesn't work on Win 98... :rolleyes: Chrome at the studio, which has a PC running XP, but my home PC is still good ol' 98. As Nev says, I hate changing for change's sake.

And most of the software on the home PC won't run under XP/Vista. Nor does half the hardware installed...

:rant:

:lol:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
... which ALSO doesn't work on Win 98... :rolleyes: Chrome at the studio, which has a PC running XP, but my home PC is still good ol' 98. As Nev says, I hate changing for change's sake.

And most of the software on the home PC won't run under XP/Vista. Nor does half the hardware installed...

:rant:

Must be why you still drive a 164, Ron. ;) :p

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
It for the Mac and PC :)

It is quite nice actually and the 'top sites' function is :cool:
Soz, I meant is the version you're using for the MAC or PC? If the PC is it a fully working stable version or still the BETA crap?

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I chose it over Firefox mainly because FF sucked up so many system resources and took an absolute age to launch. Chrome uses far less, boots faster and is a much faster browser. The only drawback is the lack of add-ons compared to FF.
:thumbs:

I find it quite amusing all the FF users slating IE et al saying that FF is the best browers in the world ever, the end blah blah blah.

All browers can be hacked and indeed are depending upon their popularity. As FF becomes more popular the more hackers will see a revenue stream to made from its flaws and the more popular FF becomes the more bloated and resource hungry it will become with the ver growing number of File Extensions.

There is almost a sort of snobbery with browsers today just like with wine. IMHO, if works for you and you like it, use it - but I will be checking out Safari for the M$ when i get back home tonight :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
PC version of safari is horrible. I'm using FF. This was prompted by installing Windows 7 which includes IE8 and finding IE8 to be noticably slower. FF is fine for me, and for anything slightly dodgy, FF in a virtual machine.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm currently using Google Chrome, which is based on the Safari browser engine.

If memory consumption is an issue for you, I've heard maxthon is far better in that respect.

That said, I have never tried it and still use FF.
Sticking to what works for me.:D

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
If memory consumption is an issue for you, I've heard maxthon is far better in that respect.

That said, I have never tried it and still use FF.
Sticking to what works for me.:D
Just tried it - don't like it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :D

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
PC version of safari is horrible. I'm using FF. This was prompted by installing Windows 7 which includes IE8 and finding IE8 to be noticably slower. FF is fine for me, and for anything slightly dodgy, FF in a virtual machine.
is the latest version just as bad on the PC?
I had heard it was quite good on the PC now.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
IE8 = 10 secs to start up and load a non cached web page
Chrome 4 secs to start up and load a non cached web page :D
FF = 14 secs to start up and load a non cached web page
Safari = 27 secs to start up and load a non cached web page :eek:

Not scientific but Chrome works for me – I just don’t like the privacy issues surrounding Google’s Big Brother approach to the Internet

N

·
0 Posts
IE8 = 10 secs to start up and load a non cached web page
Chrome 4 secs to start up and load a non cached web page :D
FF = 14 secs to start up and load a non cached web page
Safari = 27 secs to start up and load a non cached web page :eek:
Did you measure those yourself?

[Cough]Geek![/Cough]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts