Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have been a 147 driver for some time now. On my second one, and always loved them. The time has come to part with it and move away from Alfa for a few years, as we are expecting our first baby shortly, and looking into moving into something a little more suitable.

No doubt i will be back in about 15-16 years time!

Anyway.. I have an 03plate 147 lusso 3door with 54kmiles and FSH. A dealer has offered me 'between £1700 and £2000" (They have not actually seen it)

Is that really all they are worth these days..? I know i would get more going private, and may still look into it.. but I am just pretty suprised.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Alfa do have family friendly cars which may be more suitable than the 147.

Have you looked at the 156 or 159 in either saloon or sportwagon?

A dealer is likely to quote a very low price in such circumstances.

If you are not part exchanging then they probably don't want the hassle.

Sell privately:)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
How is it unsuitable? Are you expecting triplets? Plenty of room both in the back and in the boot. :confused:

Just keep it, or if you do feel you need a bigger car go for a 156/159 as cooper said. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi both, thanks for the replies.
If it was a 5 door, we would probably keep it for a bit longer (easier with a baby seat in the back) Not so easy with a three door.(we have tried)
I agree with the 159 as an alternative..... but the wife has it in her head that she wants a bigger car as in height wise.. with the VW Tiguan being pretty high up the list. Have agreed to tesst drive it as see what i think.

Charlie

·
Registered
763 Posts
probably better to keep the 147 for yourself and get wifey the VW...
You'ld probably do better than 2k without the trade-in...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It does make me smile that people suddenly want a "tall" car cause they are having a child.

This is not me having a go at the OP.

Its a more general problem.

A lot of my friends have scenics and the like.

My 2 year old came home from hospital in my GT 3.2 V6 and now gets driven around in the 159SW.

Thankfully my wife likes cars too. I suppose I should be grateful. There is no way she would have an MPV.

A Land Rover/Range Rover maybe, but not an MPV:)

H

·
0 Posts
We've got one toddler, and a baby on the way. And the 156 is NOT big enough. It's been fine for one kid, but the pushchair only just gets in the boot. When we went on holiday a couple of months ago the boot was crammed full, so was the entire backseat and footwells, and we had to have a few bits in the front passenger footwell.

With a second baby seat in the back we just couldn't have done it.

I've no doubt for older kids the 156 would be ample, but for a toddler and a baby, with all the additional stuff that comes along, a sports saloon just doesn't cut the mustard.

Sadly that means it's gonna have to go very soon.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We've got one toddler, and a baby on the way. And the 156 is NOT big enough. It's been fine for one kid, but the pushchair only just gets in the boot. When we went on holiday a couple of months ago the boot was crammed full, so was the entire backseat and footwells, and we had to have a few bits i nthe front passenger footwell.

With a second baby seat in the back we just couldn't have done it.

I've no doubt for older kids the 156 would be ample, but for a toddler and a baby, with all the additional stuff that comes along, a sports saloon just doesn't cut the mustard.

Sadly that means it's gonna have to go very soon.
And thats why they invented the 159SW:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dont see the point in these tall cars, unless you want to sit inside with a top hat on :lol:
A plus point with the tiguan however, is that it can parallel park itself, so you dont need to close your eyes when the missus tries to park it :D
You will have to sell the 147 privately if you want a decent price for it, garages arent interested in trade ins, especially alfa's, as they have to give it a warranty to sell it on or take a hit on it sending it to market.

H

·
0 Posts
What about a 156 SW?:)
Better, will likely be on my shopping list, but I fancy a Subaru Legacy or Impreza estate, and Mrs HST used to have a Passat Estate as her company car, which she loved (and it's her that does most of the driving since I got my bike)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem is me and the wife have just been for a week away to the Scotland for a week... the 147 boot REALLY struggled with just our stuff. Once the pram/foldable cot/car seat/the rest of the paraphenalia I have yet to discover are needed, there is just no way we would cope.

Will have a look at the 159sw. I do like the look of it.. but I have also read on several sites that B*W 3/5 series blows it out of the water... but I could never sink that low. I cant stand way they think they own the road!!:D

trust me.. sometimes it is easier to go with the flow than make a pregnant woman angry....!:thumbs:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Sometimes it pays to have a car a little smaller than you think you need.
It tends to stop you lugging around all those things you don't really need
and makes you focus on the important stuff.

You really don't need a portable cot. Seriously, you really don't :lol:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We have a Citroen C5 with roofbars & a top box which is huge and ideal for going on family holiday, Me, wife 2 girls 10 & 15, fits all our stuff in comfy and economical.
So we/I brought a 166 :) because its more fun to drive, Scotland here we come, and have all bar the shouting sold the Citroen (hurray).
For our holiday if it doesn't fit in the boot it doesn't go, with the possible exception of my camera gear.
Buy the car you want and travel light

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Aye!

If people thought more about it (and bought stuff that fits in their car, rather than cars that can fit all their stuff) then baby-stuff manfufacturers wouldn't make push-chairs the size of aircraft carriers.

Remember.. your parents managed to fit everything you needed into a Ford Escrote. Why can't you?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My mum used to manage with an MGB GT when I was a newborn and my sister was 2!! :p

My dad did eventually get her something bigger but only really as a new car was due rather than admitting the MG was perhaps 'difficult'.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts