Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad News - Geoff (GJ)

Fellow Alfaowners,

As many of you know, our friend and fellow Alfisti, Geoff (GJ) had been suffering from cancer for some time and had been receiving chemotherapy treatment. I am sorry to say that we've been informed that, sadly, Geoff died on Thursday 9th February, in his sleep, peacefully, and at home.

As you may know, Geoff had bravely explained his illness to us a few months ago, and we had become used to the regular updates of his treatment (and the nurses) who had helped him so much. To say he had put a brave face on it is a remarkable understatement.

Geoff remained upbeat in the face of his illness, and his wit always possessed the rare qualities of both sharpness and warmth. Geoff's continued humour, wisdom and honest, decent humanity shone through over the past few months when, perhaps, it might have been easier for him to withdraw from the day to day business of the forum. I'm rather proud to say that I felt that I'd made a real friend, in the way we sometimes do here, and I know many, many people will feel the same way about his companionship, here on this forum and indeed in real life.

Over the weeks I think many of us felt that he was getting the nod over the disease that had visited upon him, but, unfortunately, that was not the case. Geoff's wife, Jenny, has told us that until last weekend he had seemed fine, but that he had started to feel exhausted and subsequently his health declined rapidly. He slipped away peacefully and swiftly.

I'm sure you will all join me for a moment to remember our friend, and wish Jenny and everyone he has sadly left behind our best wishes at this sad time.

Keep driving, Geoff and may the road always rise up to meet you.

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Seems like only last week he was complaining of the atrocious weather and how he'd cope with the 4mm of snow that had fallen.

AO is a dimmer place without his cheery posts.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like only last week he was complaining of the atrocious weather and how he'd cope with the 4mm of snow that had fallen.

AO is a dimmer place without his cheery posts.
without spending a brass farthing at Halfords, mind..... :)

...and you're not wrong. :(

·
Administrator
60,232 Posts
RIP my friend, I shall miss you Geoff :(

Geoff was a master woodcarver, he made my 93 Spider a wooden emergency handle and sent it to me early on in our friendship. A fine man who will be missed.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
A sad loss, rest in peace Geoff.

There has been contact with Geoffs family and if they so wish, AO can do as we have done in the past for departed Alfisti and organise a donation to a charity of the family's choice to show appreciation for Geoff being such an admired member of this community.
If this is the case I'll post details on this thread in the coming days.

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
BeeGee! :(

A true Gent and of a better example I can think of none.

I've enjoyed our post exchanges and banter over all these years.

I feel the void already...

RIP my friend.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
GJ you were and still are a good friend, your advice and outlook will stay with me forever....will miss you loads my friend.....rest in peace...luvs ya hugz

·
Registered
11,425 Posts
I'm quite taken aback to be so upset at the passing of someone I never met.
GJ's contributions to this forum showed him to be a brave, kind, generous man with intelligence and a great sense of humour.
And taste. I shall greatly miss my fellow blues fan:(

My deepest sympathies to his family. RIP GJ.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I just did my usual very quick check on AO over breakfast and can honestly say I'm shedding a few tears of shock and sadness.

I hadn't picked up on Geoff's earlier thread about his illness, so I was completely unaware, and feel bad I hadn't seen it now.

RIP GJ you'll be missed.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts

1 - 20 of 120 Posts