Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I've been putting it off - but due to rising fuel costs, insurance costs, servicing costs, cost of tyres and not least road tax - and the lack of a reliable enough income I am gonna have to sell my Brera.

It's a very very sad day.

I've had a v6 Brera since they first came out (this is my second) - costs aside, it's been perfect for me and all my needs - heck I could even get all my gear to gigs in it when necessary. And it's such a beauty.

I am gonna have to choose something very VERY economical - and probably an estate this time around. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Well folks, I've been putting it off - but due to rising fuel costs, insurance costs, servicing costs, cost of tyres and not least road tax - and the lack of a reliable enough income I am gonna have to sell my Brera.

It's a very very sad day.

I've had a v6 Brera since they first came out (this is my second) - costs aside, it's been perfect for me and all my needs - heck I could even get all my gear to gigs in it when necessary. And it's such a beauty.

I am gonna have to choose something very VERY economical - and probably an estate this time around. Any suggestions?

1.9JTDm 159 SW

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am afraid it's probably going to have to be something like a VW BlueMotion or Skoda Greenline or (sharp intake of breath) Ford :vomit:Econetic. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am afraid it's probably going to have to be something like a VW BlueMotion or Skoda Greenline or (sharp intake of breath) Ford :vomit:Econetic. :(
I see that Giulietta does not meet your space needs... :cry:

From your choices, the one you "vomit" must be the one with the more feeling and the one with greater chassis... Focus or Mondeo are good choices (looks is a question of tastes). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
A good second hand 159 SW would see you right. Not as massive in the back as a Mondo-do but adequate. The 1.9 JTDm does around 41-43mpg. Tax is £150 a year. Get one on 17'' wheels and tyres won't cost a great deal but make sure it is a Lusso. You can always get a remap for a bit more ooomph if you wanted too!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
A bit pricey. What's the mpg like? Diesel owners always moan about the price of fuel...

I don't moan about it, and get 40 - 45 honest mpg.

But while we're on the subject, why is diesel more expensive ? petrol is the higher fraction from distillation and by rights is more valuable.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It hurts me to even ask this. Is there any specific engines to look for?
I've only driven the 2.0TDCi 140 in the S-Max. It's exactly the same engine as in the Mondingo, only the S-Max is a bigger car.

Driving winding country roads with some 'gusto' had that showing 45mpg. I was impressed.

I imagine in the Mondeo it'd be epic.

Parkers seem to rate the 1.6tdci 110 quite highly, but the Mondeo is a big, heavy car, so I personally reckon it'd struggle to pull it.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
We've got the 2.0TDCi 140 in the Kuga, it's a good engine and not at all slow, only runs low on pull when you want to push on well above 100.

Modern Ford chasis are a hoot to drive plus the servicing, tax and insurance are cheap too. In the unaerodynamic Kuga it gets 40mpg but I bet you'd get 50 in a Mondeo Estate. Purchase prices are low for what is really quite a lot of decent car. VERY big boots.

There are so many dealers that there are serious deals to be done on new ones (and plenty of S/H ones about). We played off dealers until we'd got a few grand off.

If you go for a Mondeo Titanium X (top trim leve) with 19" wheels it's going to get pricey (if buying new), but I'll be perfectly honest with you, we got a Zetec with 17"s (bottom rung of the Kuga ladder but a few rungs up on the Mondeo) and the spec level is pretty high. Only thing it doesn't have that we would have liked after the Spider LE is Cruise Control. And we only use that through average speed cameras so no biggie.

·
Registered
698 Posts
For practical reasons, my wife's Spider was chopped in for a Ford. Sad to say, despite my acute badge snobbery, my Brera now hardly moves off the drive:eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Only thing it doesn't have that we would have liked after the Spider LE is Cruise Control. And we only use that through average speed cameras so no biggie.
Not something to worry about on the new shape Mondeo though - even the Zetec has cruise control.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've only driven the 2.0TDCi 140 in the S-Max. It's exactly the same engine as in the Mondingo, only the S-Max is a bigger car.

Driving winding country roads with some 'gusto' had that showing 45mpg. I was impressed.

I imagine in the Mondeo it'd be epic.

Parkers seem to rate the 1.6tdci 110 quite highly, but the Mondeo is a big, heavy car, so I personally reckon it'd struggle to pull it.
My wife had a C4 with the same 2.0 tdi as the Ford, personally hated it but I'm not a fan of diesels to be honest

·
Registered
620 Posts
My wife had a C4 with the same 2.0 tdi as the Ford, personally hated it but I'm not a fan of diesels to be honest
My brother's got a C4 2.0HDi.

Engine's the only bit on it he likes - everything else falls apart, lol. Such poor, poor build quality. Might have been a Friday afternoon car.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My brother's got a C4 2.0HDi.

Engine's the only bit on it he likes - everything else falls apart, lol. Such poor, poor build quality. Might have been a Friday afternoon car.
I think every day is Friday at the citroen factory! ours had a tonne of problems, some sorted some offloaded at p/x time. Shame really as there's some nice bits to that car

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think every day is Friday at the citroen factory! ours had a tonne of problems, some sorted some offloaded at p/x time. Shame really as there's some nice bits to that car
we had a 1.6hdi C4 before the guillietta had it over 3 years not 1 warranty claim the alfa's been back 3 times so far.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts