Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to a cross road in my quest for POWER...

Heres the thing:
Reality:
An Alfa 8v TS motor IS what I WANT, It can make good Power NA (150hp ATW) if you do abit of work to it:thumbs:. The motor is also very good for Turbo being a flat top and having the twin spark, which Is what I want to do later.
BUT The motors I've found (If you can find them) is around R 10 000-R 15 000, Or 1500 - 2500 Pounds + shipping = over R25 000 :cry:

Sacrilege:
A Toyota 3S GTE Makes (177hp ATE) Standard as you buy it from "Jap imports". Now this motor has the capability of making (300hp) easy, and all parts are over the counter (and cheaper than the Alfa spares)
and this motor is R8000 and it will start if you swing it...

So now I dont know hey...

How much hate will I recieve for putting a Toyota Engine in my Giulietta?
Dont get me wrong I Really dont want to, but this is where Reality And sacrilege Meet..

And thoughts?

A

·
0 Posts
If you had said that you were dropping in a Lancia 16V turbo motor in, then maybe, just maybe that would've been acceptable. But Japanese.. dude.. you want an Italian racing heart in your Alfa, not a japanese.
Then I'd say spec your alfa to the most affordable level that you can, then buy and race a toyota with that GTE motor.
Reality of it all is that to modify an alfa engine is NEVER going to be cheap!
Sacrilege is doing what you're contemplating.
No Trackman, No!
I said NO!

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
People were complaining the Italian Busso engine was replaced with a GM one, imagine what they will say when they see a Jap engine under the hood of your italian beast

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I (and probably Giuli as well) support your decision! Jap engines can handle a lot more abuse...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Put a Twinspark Plastic engine cover over it, lie lie lie and no one will know the difference... Except you... Deep down you will know...you will know..

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's your choice at the end of the day. ;) The purists will say NO WAY and others may applaud you but you're the only one who will be getting these comments (good or bad) so go with your gut feel. Budget constraints are always a big factor in these motor swaps and I suppose it depends on what you want from it in terms of power. Good luck with the decision mate. :)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Trackman you know my answer...I dont live for others or their opinions.The fact of the matter here is that Alfa Nords can make 200bhp easily as any more than 220bhp in reletavily light or racecars is just unnecesary...but,go have a look at Alfaholic cars...engines are maybe over R60k to have that power maybe more...

Ill drop a 3SGTE in my Giuli with no thaughts lingering...theyll say i must pop the hood, theyl sqweek and spit on the Toy badge...theyll disaprove,but ill be the one leaving two long lines plus another semi long one as i engage 2cnd gear and they stare as i power off into the distance and all they hear is 7500rpm swops acompanied by hisssis and ssssshhhhhh sounds from my hood...thats whats up!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The purists will burn you at the stake. The rest won't really care, much.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Look go for it...
:)
I never thought I'll say this, but I will ENJOY keying your doors, no, smashing your windows and lights...
Maybe even cut your brakes lines
:cheese:
But on a serious note, I've thought about dropping the 20DET motor or the Cressida 3.0L with a T3/T4 hybrid or a decent super charger....
But then I realize WHY I fell in love with the GTV...
The motor, the sound, the feel...
I still have my Jap toy(Mazda 323) and took her out last night actually for a run, LOVE the power,the gear shifts the "easy" fun I had...
But I'll never mix my brands....
Do you mix your brands when drinking??
Just think, Jameson with two keys??:vomit:

·
Registered
846 Posts
trackman...honestly buddy don't stress about what people say, the fact of the matter is that they will talk all the time...you just need to consider how you're going to do the transplant.

coming from a 200sti and a rxi I can tell you that the nismo is way stronger and more reliable than the toyota, before everyone went turbo crazy, n/a was boss, I can still remember all the debates about the 200sti vs the rxi vs the vtec....I beat my one friend in his rxi constantly, the vtec is a beautiful motor, it always ran ahead of me the first three gears and then I would overtake...my point is go for a sr20det motor, if you're budget is tight you don't need to even open the motor to check the internals, just organise strong engine mounts and a proper gearbox...nuff said.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Very similar, but you'll probably need the transmission tunnel from an S14 or S15 to replace yours. If I can get everything done for under R30K, I'll do it next year.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Very similar, but you'll probably need the transmission tunnel from an S14 or S15 to replace yours. If I can get everything done for under R30K, I'll do it next year.
The guys from oz and n use the normal one and use a modified plate but prop and motor...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have come to a cross road in my quest for POWER...

Heres the thing:
Reality:
An Alfa 8v TS motor IS what I WANT, It can make good Power NA (150hp ATW) if you do abit of work to it:thumbs:. The motor is also very good for Turbo being a flat top and having the twin spark, which Is what I want to do later.
BUT The motors I've found (If you can find them) is around R 10 000-R 15 000, Or 1500 - 2500 Pounds + shipping = over R25 000 :cry:

Sacrilege:
A Toyota 3S GTE Makes (177hp ATE) Standard as you buy it from "Jap imports". Now this motor has the capability of making (300hp) easy, and all parts are over the counter (and cheaper than the Alfa spares)
and this motor is R8000 and it will start if you swing it...

So now I dont know hey...

How much hate will I recieve for putting a Toyota Engine in my Giulietta?
Dont get me wrong I Really dont want to, but this is where Reality And sacrilege Meet..

And thoughts?
Go for it, or seek out a Honda K20 2.0ltr.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Spider Honda motors turn anticlock... I dont know if they all like that, but thats what I know..

I've sort of managed to fine a TS 8v head, but the deal is not sealed yet..

I really dont want to run any other motor other than a Alfa, but the possibilities are wide open if I go the sacrilege route

·
Registered
459 Posts
I for one am a purist and would frown upon a Jap engine in an Alfa, the car would lose the quirkiness that makes it so essentially Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Trackman - Honda S2000 motor swap into GTV 105 was done before...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts