Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 2012 finalists have been announced and the Guilietta is one of the 10.

Its the 1.4 125 kW Multiair Distinctive.

Not surprising really as this is the model most journalists favoured.
Lets hope they have more luck this time round.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
it's a really good car with a really good engine but it's got some stiff competition as well! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
The 156 has won the SA COTY title before. The Giulietta will certainly be a worthy winner judging by the many international awards it has already clinched. In the 1980s the Giulietta in SA won a few awards. Here's hoping the new Giulietta is declared the winner!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That engine won world engine of the year. The car is the safest in its class according to euro n cap. Alfa SA have given the car the best warranty available in SA with the 5year or 150000km cover. It is hands down the best looking car in its class.
It really should be a serious contender!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree with all the comments but after showing a future byer the car he purchased a new hyundai Elantra for 235k for the 1.8 auto with 150k warantee and maintance plan,pity Alfa dont have an auto as a lot of people now only want automatic

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
For the price the Hyundai auto seems 'cheap.' But seriously speaking, can one compare a Hyundai with an Alfa?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alfa do have an auto. The 159 V6 Q4 Q-tronic, but it costs 430k. :eek:

I think you will see the new TCT dual clutch box introduced next year as an option on the Giulietta, maybe even on the Mito.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Alfa won't win, that is a rule in the "COTY book of rules on how to judge" it states clearly in section 1.1.1.1 that NO Alfa Romeo, no matter how good, must ever win the COTY.

The 156 was an exception.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Alfa won't win, that is a rule in the "COTY book of rules on how to judge" it states clearly in section 1.1.1.1 that NO Alfa Romeo, no matter how good, must ever win the COTY.
:eek:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:cheese:

·
Registered
17 Posts
In build quality yes.

build quality??? really!!.cause i dont think so... the new alfas are built excellently! those days of poor build quality is long gone!.......and i mean sit in that hyundai, you still get that cheapish feel yet the Alfa is on another level so much of a nicer place to be! ... but to each is own i guess.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree and disagree.
The Hyundai’s and Kia’s are brilliant value for money and the build quality is up to standard but yes the Alfa still wins in my book.
If I wasn’t hooked on Alfa and had to buy new it would be Korean just because it makes financial cense compared to the overpriced competition.
But then I will rather purchase spares for an Alfa since the Korean cars are way more expensive in this department so when buying secondhand it is better to get an Alfa.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
in my experience rebuilding korean car are very cheap actually, i do a lot of kia's and hyundais and new genuine part are vary cheap :)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Benzina...what Korlean cars do you work on? My brother in law has a Hyundai Accent 1.3 i think...He had a new motor fitted by some "mechanic" and a new carb..but the thing revs like a squeeeeeling whale! It cannot drop revs to a normal idle it idles very high, about 2000rpm ALL DAY LONG...no one in Kimberley can help the guy...it has a downdraft carb...know anything about it?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
in my experience rebuilding korean car are very cheap actually, i do a lot of kia's and hyundais and new genuine part are vary cheap :)
That is good then since I found them to be extremely expensive with service parts.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
that engine won world engine of the year. The car is the safest in its class according to euro n cap. Alfa sa have given the car the best warranty available in sa with the 5year or 150000km cover. It is hands down the best looking car in its class.
It really should be a serious contender!
++++1

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
build quality??? really!!.cause i dont think so... the new alfas are built excellently! those days of poor build quality is long gone!.......and i mean sit in that hyundai, you still get that cheapish feel yet the Alfa is on another level so much of a nicer place to be! ... but to each is own i guess.
Build quality of the Hyundai is up there with the German cars now, check the motoring scribes.

But both Hennie and myself went and compared the Golf with the Guilietta. As much as I am an Alfa man, we are not there yet. It doesn't mean I need it to be better than a VW or BMW. It is fine as it is, if you look after it, it should wear well.

The problem I personally have with the Guilietta, is the front seats. There are way to much lumbar support permanently built into the seat-back. The Mercs and BMWs had that when they started off, until they discovered Ricardo and copied their seats. So for me I just want any old Alfa seat in exchange, or I will have to put a hammer to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts