Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new spider has a functioning cd stereo but I would like to put one a little more period in it. I have a huge tape cassette collection!
What was original fitment in the 1991 model please? Anyone got a model number or a picture/ brochure picture? Even better- anyone got an original fitment stereo for sale? Thanks, John.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
My new spider has a functioning cd stereo but I would like to put one a little more period in it. I have a huge tape cassette collection!
What was original fitment in the 1991 model please? Anyone got a model number or a picture/ brochure picture? Even better- anyone got an original fitment stereo for sale? Thanks, John.
I keep having to remember if you are in UK or in the USA?? (helps when you put location in your signature;))

Radios in our spiders were dealer installed. Factory only installed elec. ariel and blanking plate, correct type seen in this link:
Original Alfa Romeo radio cover pininfarina NEW - Welcome to our online shop

S4 spider (in US at least) had radios like these fitted by the dealers:
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Wanted OEM Radio for 91-94 Spider

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They should wear a mask and carry flintlocks charging 49 euros for a rectangle of plastic!
The alfa rad/cass on e bay looks period enough to me i think, and thank you for the welcome. Not really had much time so far to go over the car but I'm sure there will be a lot i need to learn.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Not really had much time so far to go over the car but I'm sure there will be a lot i need to learn.
There will but if you enjoy fettling you've bought the right car, I've had mine 3 years and am still at it

·
Registered
437 Posts
As Dom (spiderserie4) mentioned, UK cars didn't arrive with radios fitted (funny how you forget that back in the day many cars didn't have them fitted from the factory!).

Mine had one from new but I changed it out for a newer one with CD, IPod, and USB connectivity! I appreciate keeping original but I draw the line when needing to have a large selection of sounds on long trips to Italy and back!

I think I may have the original in the garage somewhere (I think it may have been a Clarion) so I'll see if I can dig it out - I may be persuaded to part with it as I'm unlikely to fit it back in.

I also think it's on the original bill of sale (I'll have a look).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just acquired my 1991 S4 Spider and the radio paperwork is no longer with the car so I don't have the code for the radio. Can anyone tell me where I can find the serial number on the radio? I think I can then get the code from this forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I just acquired my 1991 S4 Spider and the radio paperwork is no longer with the car so I don't have the code for the radio. Can anyone tell me where I can find the serial number on the radio? I think I can then get the code from this forum. Thanks!
Probably a clarion, is it?
take it out (if you have the release keys to slide into the sides, it will come out easy), there will be a sticker on the case somewhere.
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - 1992 Radio Code

some info here too:
1991 Spider Radio Code - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Dom

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The official uk dealer fit stereos on the Seaking converted cars were Blaupunkt.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My S3 had a Blaupunkt Ontario with missing facia> Replaced with NOS period Sony.

·
Registered
437 Posts
As Dom (spiderserie4) mentioned, UK cars didn't arrive with radios fitted (funny how you forget that back in the day many cars didn't have them fitted from the factory!).

Mine had one from new but I changed it out for a newer one with CD, IPod, and USB connectivity! I appreciate keeping original but I draw the line when needing to have a large selection of sounds on long trips to Italy and back!

I th I may have the original in the garage somewhere (I think it may have been a Clarion) so I'll see if I can dig it out - I may be persuaded to part with it as I'm unlikely to fit it back in.

I also think it's on the original bill of sale (I'll have a look).
I've found mine. It's a clarion but doesn't have any Alfa branding on it but it definately came with the car from the dealer (dealer fitted) as it's on the bill of sale. It was £165 in 1991! Sounds like a lot of money back then! If the OP (Alfski) wants it, it's yours for the price of postage. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have not been able to find a stereo for my car which is exactly what I want. I refuse to pay silly money for stuff on e bay which is listed for fifty quid and might be working and no returns....
This evening I was looking for a dvd in my garage and dug out an old box which contained a 90s alpine CD player. After an hour I had wired it to the old Sony wiring which was fitted with a connecting loom. Spent another hour attempting to find the feed for the electric Ariel,eventually starting from the boot I discovered the power was getting to the Ariel, it just was not working. Pulled it up manually and I'm in business. Dash light colour matches too. It's a little too young for the car but looks period enough and mores to the point it works well and I can make it do what I want to. Result. I left off the security tabs so it can be stolen easily as it is easier to replace a stereo than a dash. Had the rear arches cut out where required and welded up with new metal,which was required on the sill end plate and the end of the actual sill too one side. All painted up now and looking well.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey John, how are you getting on with the spider?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello sir. Getting on with it fabulous thanks. Had the underside treated,oil and filters/ plugs etc done. Oil pressure is really healthy now. Both rear arches cut out and welded up then resprayed. Fitted a stereo I can work and the speakers deserve- Alpine.
Currently looking for a replacement exhaust with a decat and single silencer........then a roof.....gearbox oil to change and rear axle oil too but they can wait.
To be honest I'm busy with work currently and away at the coast a lot too. Not enough time to do what I want. Driving it is great fun. It drives just like you said- an old car! I'm using it as much as I can currently.I fitted a new rad cap too. Improved things.
Still keeping those Lancias?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts