Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me spider drove home lovely and is running well. When you start her the oil pressure reading is straight up at twelve o clock. At 60 ish mph it reads at maybe ten to and on warm tickover it's on the mark above the red maybe one notch higher. It runs well and sounds good and the readings are all stable so I am thinking the 25 year old sender may be not all it once was? Do these give problems as a rule? Easy to replace?
Years ago I had a new oil pump fitted to a Saab turbo engine with major miles on the clock and added forty percent to the readings across the board. Is the oil pump replaceable ? Desirable to do? I want to use the car a lot and am just wanting to sort out the basics. Thanks, John.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do people use flushing oil on these old Alfa engines? I have no handbook or paperwork so I'm not even sure what oil to use?
The oil on the dipstick looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
My new to me spider drove home lovely and is running well. When you start her the oil pressure reading is straight up at twelve o clock. At 60 ish mph it reads at maybe ten to and on warm tickover it's on the mark above the red maybe one notch higher
that all sounds fine to me!

my S4 with over 100k miles reads:
a good solid 4 bar (that's 12o'clock on mine), maybe the slightest tick over on a cold start;
0,75-1,0 bar on hot tickover (sometimes less after a long hard drive on a hot summer's day)
and a little below 4 bar cruising at 70 mph

the main indication all is well, is the red light (indicates below 5psi - or 7psi I forget! -) goes out immediately after starting and does not come on during driving.

I did improve my oil pressures just a tick when I changed oil grade from what was in there when I bought it, to a 20W/50 grade oil (I use Valvoline VR1)

I wouldn't use a flushing oil.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The sensor is unlikely to be the culprit of the readings then? I will whack in some fresh oil and a filter this week. Think a cheap ish brand first for a few hundred miles then a quality brand.
I need a new coolant expansion pressure cap too. What pressure do I need please? I really need a handbook for it but so far no luck.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I really need a handbook for it but so far no luck.
on another thread of yours, I mentioned Classic Alfa do them (reprints) for the S4

as for pressure cap for the expansion bottle, it is 1 bar
Orig. part no for S4 was 46556737
Highwood sell them for 20 quid or something nuts (!), pick them up on ebay for 8 or so.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,567 Posts
Halfords do a classic 20/50 which I use, it looks very much like the old Duckhams.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The sensor is unlikely to be the culprit of the readings then? I will whack in some fresh oil and a filter this week. Think a cheap ish brand first for a few hundred miles then a quality brand.
I need a new coolant expansion pressure cap too. What pressure do I need please? I really need a handbook for it but so far no luck.
Yours sounds fine - the sensors aren't the best (my new one never drops below half way even on tickover..) but as Dom says as long as the red light behaves, nothing to worry about, just change the oil for a good classic 20/50, no need to flush with anything - the sump plug is magnetic so you'll see if anything untoward when you drain. Is your cap missing - if not I wouldn't bother getting a new one - I run mine with a small exp bottle (to make room for the cold air duct) and no cap and it never spits coolant

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you want to make sure why not get it checked with a reliable mechanical guage, there must be a local garage which can check it for you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fetched the oil and filter today. Set of plugs too. Pressure cap is on order and I have just ordered my handbook for it.
Have considered fitting an old smiths oil gauge - mechanical - in tandem with the original tucked away in the console maybe. Will have to see what an oil change will do for it. Busy weekend for us so it may not get done before next week.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
And as others have said pressures aren't actually bad. My 84 2.0 GTV gives similar pressures but without oil temp gauge and identical oil brand who really knows which engine or pump is in the best condition.

If it was a car without a gauge you would just rely on the light. If the light was out at idle and at all other times would you be changing the switch to check the light operation?

Drive and enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts