Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brought the car out of hibernation for a few months and now mysteriously
the fan(blower) does not work on hot or cold. the fan symbol is lighting up on the dash but no noise is apparent at all and no air coming out. any ideas or what could it be.

also changed the coolant over and there seams to be an airlock in system how do you get rid of this (is this maybe why my fan is not working) as some of the radiator pipes are not heating up and no coolant is flowing into the expansion reservoir. how long would i have to wait with the engine running.i have waited around 10-15 mins but am afraid i might do some kind of damage. there always seams to be coolant sitting in the expansion tank
thanks

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Two problems with the fan, that I am aware of.....

1. It sits at the base of the heater stack and there isn't a water drain hole at the base... so any moisture that penetrates into here and the bearings tend to seize.. enthusiastic spraying with Silicone is reputed to help.

2. The switch in the console may need a good clean... the light may come on without enough current feed to drive the fan motor... strip the switch and clean it.

I haven't experienced this problem (yet) but am aware that it is fairly common.

W

·
0 Posts
Is the car overheating? Could be a stuck thermostat??? There will always be liquid in the expansion tank but you should see it moving as water is returned to the tank.

I'm not familiar with S4s but look for a bleed screw on the rad, if not then put the car's heater on full hot and then get the car to temperature, squeezing the hoses as you go.

That should get rid of any air.

The fan will be a fuse, relay or wiring.

wrinx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts