Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to bet this has been answered before, but I can't figure out what to search for.

What: Rumble from what feels like the back end. A little noise, but mostly feel it in my butt. It is NOT the engine lugging. I just taught two people how to drive stick... I know what THAT feels and sounds like :wink:

When: When I first set off from a stop, not immediately but when I hit 2 - 3 MPH. For example, when creeping forward at a light it doesn't do it. Seems to happen every time at about the same speed, clutch pedal fully out. Also seems to go away for a drive, but return the next. Might be related, but going very slow up a very steep hill I got something similar, but MUCH louder and more violent.

Started: Immediately after having new tires installed. Cannot return to the same place as it is over 2000 miles away. Consequently I've driven the vehicle over 2000 miles since this started.

Speculation: Wheel bearings? Not a classic symptom as they don't rumble or groan under other circumstances. Could also be briefly sticky calipers? Don't know how I'd check that. Given that it sometimes goes away I thought it might have something to do with the handbrake?

Thoughts? Feelings? Emotions?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Sounds like prop shaft - check the UJ's, centre bearing and giubo for play - jack the rear wheels up wobble them to check for bearing play but it seems unlikely you'd feel it at 2 mph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts