Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
As my wife refuses to be a passenger on the off-side in an old car I have purchased a UK supplied series 2 105 series Spider.

So, the LHD Californian is in the Hobbs Parker Classic Auction.

Link : https://www.hobbsparker.co.uk/car-a...49&auctionId=452016&lotId=10405398#gs.9Rqc00Y

Notable faults are: Speedo drive needs replacing, (Speedo and Odometer stopped last year)
Usual second gear weak synchro., but it is cool to double de-clutch, I quite like it (new RHD is exactly the same so I won't miss that at least!).

Apart from that it drives very sweetly...I'll miss it...but I have been enjoying the RHD (though the brakes are not up to the LHD inline servo).

Thread partly in case any one is looking for a clean Spider Series 2, and partly so we can see how it goes value wise...I know the Americans are not as desirable. The rectangle side lights really do spoil the lines, but all the instructions telling the Americans what to do are quite cool...fasten seat belt, which switch does the lights, which fuel to put in etc etc.

I also took off the dangerous rear bumper and replaced front and rear with euro bumpers and scudetto.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
That looks very nice. I don't think the side marker lights are too bad, personally.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
looks nice.

it is an odd auction portal though, where you have to "request guide price" on every single vehicle.....
not a clever concept.
People need an estimate, before they get interested.
I closed the website after the 4th car.

glws

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Good luck, agree with Dom tho , weird to have to ask for guide price, no other auction I go to does that

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck, agree with Dom tho , weird to have to ask for guide price, no other auction I go to does that
yes, not sure why that is either....

I am using them because they are local to me and an old established auction house...I discussed a guide price with the auctioneer and came up with £8,000-£10,000 so we'll see what happens. They take 10% but it's a lot less hassle than selling privately...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the speedo drive off today...managed to dismantle it and use a square ended punch to close up the squared part of the spindle. Reassembled and bingo! Speedo works again. The tubular spindle is squared at a certain point during manufacture by using some kind of crimping tool.
Had to drill out the pin that locates the drive gear to the spindle (gear has to come off the shaft in order to press ount the spindle from the housing to access the squared section). I couldn't tell whether the locking pin was punched in or screwed in... could only shift it by using a pillar drill. Refixed the gear onto the spindle using a split pin with head size that punched in flush and gripped, then ground off the loose legs of the pin.

Anyhow, the speedo not working I put up with when I was driving the car....just didn't feel right to sell it like that...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
^^^
good fix!
and here (in case it interests anyone!) are the component parts of such a speedo drive.
(note the little oil seal, rather like a miniature crank seal, 3rd from right: if your drive leaks, that is usually the culprit)
16OD X 8ID x 7 (mm)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spider didn't sell.
I had £9,500 reserve on it and it didn't even reach a provisional sale bid.

Hey-ho, maybe I was a little optimistic with it being an American.

I will put it on car and classic at £9,800 ono and see ...as any buyer won't have the 10%plus vat commission on top of that.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,135 Posts
If you can, put it away and forget about until the spring. Not only is this not a good time of the year to sell a 'summer' car, it is too close to Christmas. I think also that there is a degree of caution amongst buyers (of anything) because no one knows what the outcome of March 2019 is. You might do well to fix anything that needs it so you dont have to make it less desirable because of faults.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can, put it away and forget about until the spring. Not only is this not a good time of the year to sell a 'summer' car, it is too close to Christmas. I think also that there is a degree of caution amongst buyers (of anything) because no one knows what the outcome of March 2019 is. You might do well to fix anything that needs it so you dont have to make it less desirable because of faults.
Thanks.
Yes, sure.

Not really any faults now except the 2nd gear synchro, which is only bad on cold mornings for the first mile or so.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Spider is sold.
Listed on Car and Classic on Saturday night...sold and paid for today, he is picking it up on Friday.

£8,500 A bit less than I was hoping, but quick sale and I won't have to over-winter one of the cars in the car-port as they suffer from the temperature changes in there, whereas the garage stays more stable and there cars stored in there don't get condensation issues.

The buyer knew a heck of a lot about 105 series Alfas...used to race them too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts