Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

though there's plenty of grip on my 165/14 tyes, Michelin HR fronts and Dunlop SR rears, they must be getting on for 20 yrs old so I'm thinking about changing them as I'm not confident in them and they do slip out if pushed.

I know you can still get the Dunlop's but they are expensive so what other options are there. There seem to be quite a few modern 165/70/14 tyres which I assume will be ok?

I'd like to upgrade to the alfaholics 7x15's but that's a very pricey option.

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'm assuming you're on standard steel wheels? 14" wheels are getting rare now so the tyre selection isn't what it used to be. I'm using Dunlop SP, I've heard good things about Vredestein too.

If you are looking for a wheel change then you can fit 185 or 195 rubber to a 6J wheel. There are plenty of wheel options at 6J and they often come up in the ads or on ebay. And to be honest that's plenty for the road. Putting 7J on is fine for trackwork, but do be aware you'll lose some steering feel and that at low speeds and around town the steering will be a lot heavier.

These cars are only 1000kg so fitting 185 rubber is the equivalent of fitting 255 or wider rubber to a modern 1500kg car.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Many actually believe that Spiders and GTVs run best in town and country roads in the original size 165-14. I have also heard good things about Vredestein.
With 6J rims, the range of 185/70 or 195/65 is huge. My S2 is running on 185/70 Barum Brillantis 2, I am happy with them.
Erik

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, ideally I'd prefer to keep the standard wheels for cost and originality reasons.

The vredsteins seem good value if I'm looking at the right ones. I can't find the width of the standard wheels, will a 65 tyre fit?

165/65R14 (79T) QUATRAC 2 from Vredestein | Tyremen

Also, out of interest, what's the general opinion on life of a tyre before the rubber and performance deteriorates?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think that an absolute maximum of 10 years - but it depends on load, exposure to sun, etc etc. Older rubber can get hard and 'glazed' - it is lethal in the wet.

And, as with human life, tyre life is reduced with excessive Donuts.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Harryf, they're definitely due for a change then as I thought.

Do you know if the ones linked above will fit / are any good?

I've just got back from my last run this year as it will be sorn'd now over winter to allow to do all the jobs it needs, tyres included.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Erik, I've found the sprints classics for £84 which seem ok,

I've also found the sprint + for about £50 but no stock plus some Falken at £52 which look ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts