Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the day off as I had time owing and decided to do Christmas shopping when it was quiet.

Coming back from Bluewater doing about 35-40mph, the bonnet catch let go. Count my blessings I suppose, I didn't crash, the windscreen didn't smash. But not what I wanted on the run up to Christmas. :cry:

Methinks I may be going to that place Simon (156GTASW) recommended to get my wing changed a bit earlier than intended.

IMG_0532 by Adam Sutton, on Flickr

IMG_0531 by Adam Sutton, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
How scary must that have sounded?? Good grief.

Fingers crossed it is a relatively cheap and easy fix. Just bonnet damage or has the roof line been dented?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Very lucky Adam, any faster and the struts would of let go!!

Glad you are ok and I'm really glad it was just the bonnet.

@Daryl, the recall is only to grease it...

This is why its very important that when you close the bonnet you try and lift it immediately afterwards to make sure it is secure.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. The rain actually saved me, it was a 60mph road but was flooded so I'd slowed down to go round it and was just picking up speed. Normally at that point I would have been going faster.

@Joe the struts did let go! Thankfully I braked seeing it, but the wind must have caught it so there was no stopping it.

I checked the oil the other weekend, always check the bonnet afterwards. Just not sure if this was the one time I didn't or if it somehow wasn't actually latched properly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to see this:(

However, at least you came out unscathed, and from the pics it looks like just the bonnet has been bent??......hope you get her fixed soon:thumbs:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
That's schit but you seem to have been relatively lucky. I've seen bonnets bent over dented roofs and smashed windscreens a few times.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Very scary. Had to take my 156 back for a recall a few years ago for the same problem had be happening on them, Might be worth contacting Alfa about it.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Lucky escape mate:eek:

You'll easily find a spare Red bonnet etc;)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
:(. at least nothing too serious happened. i saw a silver GTA at Autolusso last year where the same thing happened, after seeing the state of it i always double check the bonnet catch again, that car was a right mess

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bad luck :(. I wonder if a secondary device could be created, e.g once you've lowered (dropped) the bonnet, you fasten something, and it prevents the bonnet from flying up?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts