Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
:lol:

Now there's a difficult choice.........!!! :D
Sorry Nige, my 2c. Sprint, but has to be metal bumper one @ 1980 white reg. HMU 668 W:lol:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,366 Posts
Sorry Nige, my 2c. Sprint, but has to be metal bumper one @ 1980 white reg. HMU 668 W:lol:
:thumbs: Sounds really :cool:, very nice motors. :thumbs:

·
Registered
241 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:

Well I think it's a beautiful classic design but obviously people have different views ! I like my 916 GTV and I like the Alfetta too, both very different.

Out of interest then what do you detractors from this design think of the 'sud Sprint ? Very much a baby Alfetta GTV.
I love my 'new' GTV and I adored my Sud Sprint back in the 1990s.....with a nice set of 5 spoke alloys I always thought it was one of the prettiest cars Alfa ever made. At the time I was Alfa mad and I drove a 2 litre GTV but found it was dynamically terrible.....the gear change on the one I tried was appalling (I know they can be better because I also had a Guilietta not long after and it was acceptable.....never good though!) and the 2 litre engine felt heavy and slow compared to my Sprint. Looks wise.....I like the shape but the overhangs are far too big and it looks (as it is I suppose) like a family saloon converted into a coupe. The Sprint had much better proportions and in terms of speed I would not want to be trying to keep up with a 1.7 sprint in a 2 litre GTV because I'd die trying! GTV6 would be a different kettle of fish due to the extra grunt I guess.
I do like RWD cars more than FWD as a rule but the way forward is definitely to have one of each......as I do! :party:

·
16,366 Posts
Yep plenty of grunt in the '6 and you do sort of get used to the gearchange !

I sat in a Sprint when they first came out but it was just a look, couldn't have afforded to buy one anyway. Perhaps it's just as well that at 6ft 1 in tall I didn't really fit in it ! Fortunately I did fit in the succession of 'sud ti's that I owned so all was well in the end.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep plenty of grunt in the '6 and you do sort of get used to the gearchange !

I sat in a Sprint when they first came out but it was just a look, couldn't have afforded to buy one anyway. Perhaps it's just as well that at 6ft 1 in tall I didn't really fit in it ! Fortunately I did fit in the succession of 'sud ti's that I owned so all was well in the end.
God I loved my Sud ti.....but I did prefer the Sprint. The gear change on those rear transaxle cars was never great - I had 2 Guiliettas and there were both average at best and I test drove a couple of second hand cars from the same famiy (an Alfa 6 no less and a GTV) ans they were truly terrible. I had a couple of 75s and the 2.5 V6 was not terrible but that may have been because the torque of the V6 made it less urgent on the gear changes..I recall the 1.8 I had being a proper stress maker!

·
16,366 Posts
The Sprint is a pretty car and with a Boxer up front not much not to like.

I also had a Guilietta, I think the 1.8, can't really remember now, but I didn't like it at all. Even for an Alfa it had more electrical glitches than a Chinese power station and the gear change was the worse one on any 116 that I ever drove. Felt pretty sluggish too so I didn't keep it long. Maybe I'd bought a poor example, heart ruling head and all that, so I shouldn't be too disparaging about it and I'm glad I gave it a go.

Back then there was a fair choice of Alfa's on the market, new and old, so we had a decent choice to throw good money after bad at ! I wish the modern and current Alfa range had something that appealed to me but sad to say, apart from the 4/8Cs which realistically I'm never going to own, there is nothing at all that interests me in the slightest.

Fire up the XK 8 Nige !!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Sprint is a pretty car and with a Boxer up front not much not to like.

I also had a Guilietta, I think the 1.8, can't really remember now, but I didn't like it at all. Even for an Alfa it had more electrical glitches than a Chinese power station and the gear change was the worse one on any 116 that I ever drove. Felt pretty sluggish too so I didn't keep it long. Maybe I'd bought a poor example, heart ruling head and all that, so I shouldn't be too disparaging about it and I'm glad I gave it a go.

Back then there was a fair choice of Alfa's on the market, new and old, so we had a decent choice to throw good money after bad at ! I wish the modern and current Alfa range had something that appealed to me but sad to say, apart from the 4/8Cs which realistically I'm never going to own, there is nothing at all that interests me in the slightest.

Fire up the XK 8 Nige !!!
The Alfa range has never been that massive. In the early 80s they really only had 2 cars....the 116 chassis with variety of bodies and the Sud chassis with variety of bodies!!! I think the Giulia is a nice looking big saloon and having been out in Jamie Porter's 4c I would really love one of those as a toy if I had the money. The Giulietta is a bit of an ancient car these days but is due for replacement and who knows, maybe we will get a new GTV on the chassis.

·
16,366 Posts
The Alfa range has never been that massive. In the early 80s they really only had 2 cars....the 116 chassis with variety of bodies and the Sud chassis with variety of bodies!!! I think the Giulia is a nice looking big saloon and having been out in Jamie Porter's 4c I would really love one of those as a toy if I had the money. The Giulietta is a bit of an ancient car these days but is due for replacement and who knows, maybe we will get a new GTV on the chassis.
I like and only need a coupé, a new GTV with a decent petrol engine, V6 or better yet a V8 !, could tempt me but of course by the time these came on the second hand market and I could afford one I reckon I might be a bit long in the tooth.....

Was thinking the other week that I've had four, five, six and eight cylinder engines, not yet had the pleasure of a V10 or V12 and I confess that is an itch I'd like to scratch. An old Jag would relieve the V12 itch but probably drain my bank account as well !

Reactions: anglospider

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am building myself the same as this guy there, but I try to make it look a bit more professional :) I wrote alot with the guy from the bimotore GTV.

So I am now on the way of building a 1000kg >500hp GTV :)

Its actually not so difficult, once you got the whole Alfa 166 trimmed away like on the attached picture you see its more or less just bolting the subframe to the frame , some welding and done :)

After the turboing on this engine, and KW Suspension PU bushes and all expensive refurbished stuff, I plan to transplant it next winter :)

Attachments

·
16,366 Posts
I am building myself the same as this guy there, but I try to make it look a bit more professional :) I wrote alot with the guy from the bimotore GTV.

So I am now on the way of building a 1000kg >500hp GTV :)

Its actually not so difficult, once you got the whole Alfa 166 trimmed away like on the attached picture you see its more or less just bolting the subframe to the frame , some welding and done :)

After the turboing on this engine, and KW Suspension PU bushes and all expensive refurbished stuff, I plan to transplant it next winter :)
Sounds so simple and cheap too !!! :rofl:

Good luck with your project, hope it goes well and look forward to seeing the result.

·
Registered
489 Posts
:thumbs: Hi Fred. I pick up the Alfetta next week, as soon as the insurance cert turns up and I can get it taxed. A few more pics and info here :-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/lincolnshire/194195-what-have-i-done-its-all-nobs-fault.html

Mechanically it seems pretty good and the body, although a bit scabby. has, I hope, only 2/3 areas where a bit of welding will have to be done. The plan is to use it until the New Year when it will then go into the body guy for a full tart up. Can't wait ! :cool:

Yep, I'm a two GTV owner now ! :eek:

What have I done..............:wow:
Me too....
Two GTV owner that is.

No shouting out after abuse or anything :)

·
16,366 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts