Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows a way to make an Alfa Romeo GTV/Spider 916 rear wheel drive or if it's even possible. Because with those looks and a RWD drivetrain the car would be legendary :)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Anything's possible, it's just a question of £££££.
You could try to integrate with a similar but 4wd chassis - I guess the most useful staring point would be a 155Q4 - and then mess about with the diff etc. to make it RWD only.

The other route would be to go bespoke - complete longitudinal engine and box, new rear suspension etc. although I'm not sure what engine you would fit under the bonnet. If you can find one, a V6 90 may be a useful starting point if you want to keep it all Alfa.

Either way, £££ of fabrication to fit in the driveshafts, prop shaft, diff etc.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Im sure its possible you would probably spend ALOT of money on it. Not just the logistical exercise of doing it but its the fine tuning to make a brilliant sports car the way it is at the moment that would take alot of effort.

Have you tried the older RWD Alfas the 105 Alfa GTV from the 1960/70s and the Alfetta GTV 116 Alfa from the 1980s
I actually grew up on the Alfetta GTV and it was a brilliant car being RWD. Last of the classic RWDs !

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Im sure its possible you would probably spend ALOT of money on it. Not just the logistical exercise of doing it but its the fine tuning to make a brilliant sports car the way it is at the moment that would take alot of effort.
x2 :eek:
For info, getting a RWD rotary engined RX7 professionally converted to a RWD V8 costs in the order of £10K.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,366 Posts
You want one of these. I've just bought this one, the 2.5 V6 version........

Attachments

Reactions: Al Faromeo

·
16,366 Posts
Hi Nige ! congratulations on the V6 ! I always wanted a GTV6. So you have the current GTV and the V6 now ?

Do you have any more photos and whats it like ?
:thumbs: Hi Fred. I pick up the Alfetta next week, as soon as the insurance cert turns up and I can get it taxed. A few more pics and info here :-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/lincolnshire/194195-what-have-i-done-its-all-nobs-fault.html

Mechanically it seems pretty good and the body, although a bit scabby. has, I hope, only 2/3 areas where a bit of welding will have to be done. The plan is to use it until the New Year when it will then go into the body guy for a full tart up. Can't wait ! :cool:

Yep, I'm a two GTV owner now ! :eek:

What have I done..............:wow:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
:thumbs: Hi Fred. I pick up the Alfetta next week, as soon as the insurance cert turns up and I can get it taxed. A few more pics and info here :-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/lincolnshire/194195-what-have-i-done-its-all-nobs-fault.html

Mechanically it seems pretty good and the body, although a bit scabby. has, I hope, only 2/3 areas where a bit of welding will have to be done. The plan is to use it until the New Year when it will then go into the body guy for a full tart up. Can't wait ! :cool:

Yep, I'm a two GTV owner now ! :eek:

What have I done..............:wow:
Oh thats great what does she drive like ? I always wanted to have a GTV6 as a second car.

I remember test driving one when they were brand new with my dad and it is still one of the most Amazing cars ive ever driven to this day ! At the time they were $25,000 Aussie Dollars which was ALOT of money in those days think it was 1986 or so. Ill always remember that drive the car was brand new and bright red and the engine had alot of power revved so freely and hard. It was so responsive like a motorcycle engine - and the Sound ! OMG was like nothing else.

I politely pleaded with my dad to buy it but sadly we both knew such an expensive toy was just not practical for our finances :cry: Ever since that test drive in 1986 I have always wanted one and will get one hopefully one day soon that will be a promise :D

·
16,366 Posts
Oh thats great what does she drive like ? I always wanted to have a GTV6 as a second car.

I remember test driving one when they were brand new with my dad and it is still one of the most Amazing cars ive ever driven to this day ! At the time they were $25,000 Aussie Dollars which was ALOT of money in those days think it was 1986 or so. Ill always remember that drive the car was brand new and bright red and the engine had alot of power revved so freely and hard. It was so responsive like a motorcycle engine - and the Sound ! OMG was like nothing else.

I politely pleaded with my dad to buy it but sadly we both knew such an expensive toy was just not practical for our finances :cry: Ever since that test drive in 1986 I have always wanted one and will get one hopefully one day soon that will be a promise :D
Not driven it much Fred but it's about what you would expect from a 27 year old car. The engine is glorious and nice rwd handling. ( Watch out ditches, Nige is coming ! :eek: ) You can't call the gearchange slick, you never could on these transaxle jobbies but you soon get used to it. Then there is the driveline vibration, a bit more than I remember from my Alfetta Saloon. Perhaps I can improve this a tad with balancing and new doughnuts, we shall see.

It's going to be Summer car, don't think it would be practical for everyday use, which I confess was my original intention. The lack of PAS would wear you down around town I think. Odd how I managed before, old age and now the increasing possibility of poverty I guess !

But how cool in the Summer months ! :cool:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Well yeah its sad to see people not like the look of the car today but in their day they were as good looking and beautiful as the current GTV is today. Its design was easily 10-15 years ahead of its time and will always be an all time design classic.

J

·
0 Posts
So based on the above comments on how the old gtv is :vomit: i wonder if in 10-15yrs we will be driving around in £2k Breras and saying the current gtv is :vomit:?! i hope so!!

·
16,366 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:

Well I think it's a beautiful classic design but obviously people have different views ! I like my 916 GTV and I like the Alfetta too, both very different.

Out of interest then what do you detractors from this design think of the 'sud Sprint ? Very much a baby Alfetta GTV.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I had 2 x sud sprints Nige nice looking cars also - not as good as the GTV though.

But I assume some people may refer to cars from that era as "antiques" :lol:

·
16,366 Posts
I had 2 x sud sprints Nige nice looking cars also - not as good as the GTV though.

But I assume some people may refer to cars from that era as "antiques" :lol:

Probably so Fred.

·
Registered
471 Posts

Out of interest then what do you detractors from this design think of the 'sud Sprint ? Very much a baby Alfetta GTV.
I'm not a detractor, quite the opposite, but I think that the Sprint was ever so slightly better proportioned, particularly the rear quarter.

Splitting hairs here though - its Claudi Schieffer vs. Eva Herzogova ( or their 70's equivalents).

·
16,366 Posts
I'm not a detractor, quite the opposite, but I think that the Sprint was ever so slightly better proportioned, particularly the rear quarter.

Splitting hairs here though - its Claudi Schieffer vs. Eva Herzogova ( or their 70's equivalents).
:lol:

Now there's a difficult choice.........!!! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts