Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am very close to buying a 75, just wondering what's the best rustproofing product available, and if anyone knows anywhere fairly near (or in!) Nottingham who would carry out the work.

Is Waxoyl the best stuff for the job?

Cheers:D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Finnigan's Waxoyl was my favourite. Tried I think was it Dinitrol, and the one by Plastic Padding? Probably others just as good.No idea who does it in your area, someone into restoration work, who does a good job?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've just been rustproofing the Coupe and did a bit of research.
What I used was a wire brush on a drill, then I brushed on 2 coats of rust converter (Kurust did well in Practical Classics group test), then I wire brushed it off again and applied Zinc 182 primer- 2 coats, then 2 coats of Hammerite, then Dinitrol RC3125 which is the waxy stuff.
Dinitrol is about 3x the price of Waxoyl so I'd use Waxoyl to rustproof the whole car and Dinitrol to brush into localised areas which have rusted. I won't know how well it's worked for about a year but have had excellent results with the Zinc182 in the past and very poor results from trying to brush Hammerite straight onto wire brushed rusted metal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ZF, I did wonder about Dinitrol too, but have heard Waxoyl is best, thanks:D

Peter (hello again:)), where did you take the car so you could get all the way underneath your Coupe to give it the treatment?

How's the sale of your 145 going?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The coupe had a leaky waterpump so I've been doing the fabled 20v cambelt job with waterpump. A lot of this is in the wheelarch so I did this at the same time. Here are some before/after photos. The Dinitrol 3125 is brown in colour. I just brushed it on.

I put the 145 on Autotrader and it was gone in 48 hours. :cry:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Looks pretty good from the advertisement Dave. Do they have a 'butchers' with an endoscope is it first? These are pretty convincing from the customers point of view, before and after treatment.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure about the endoscope.

He did my Impreza (Jap import so no rust proofing). Took all day to do, took off all the door panels etc to get the stuff everywhere. Shame I forgot to tell him it had an aluminium bonnet ;)

He does ask you what you want, any areas you want missed (I got him to mask off the coilovers) and whether you want black or clear waxoyl in various areas.

Oh and if you travel up, he will drop you at a Metro station so you can spend the day in Newcastle shopping and then he picks you up when the work is finished.

Give him a shout (his name is Simon).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I used to dabble in rust prevention

Board Message

Tis good fun when the weather is fine!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Whoops, iv just checked the date on the first post lol

I do like what this guy is offering, even though I already do it all, finding the time to work on my own car can be difficult.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts