Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blimin heck, I was under the car today and noticed a rusting floor so i did what you shouldnt and i poked it, and poked it some more and the outer skin of the floor now has holes in .. and the Mot is due .. Will it pass as it's not all the way through or isit a fail ?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If it is a hole, it is a fail.
The floor isn't double skinned by the way...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Just what i needed today.
Many thanks.
And Goodbye
(Unless you need parts)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Rusty 156 floors isn't a new issue, most will be rusty, it is the first thing I tell anyone to check when they are looking at one.
Many have been repaired, so doesn't have to be game over.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a £250 car off ebay so i'm not spending it'll go for parts.
Many thanks for you help.
Be lucky

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
It's better than that it's the 1.9 diesel, 109,000 with new cambelf and clutch.
Where are you based? Thats not a difficult fix by the way, I've welded up loads of 2004 onwards cars with the same problems as that.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Mine is the same. My mot isn't till November so I've been practicing my welding so I'm ready to have a go at fixing in the Autumn. I thought it looked like a double skin with a corrugated layer followed by a flat sheet. Autolusso have complete new floor pan sections for sale but I've been told there are only a few left. I think it's a small cost as long as the rest of the car is working.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
If it is a hole, it is a fail.
The floor isn't double skinned by the way...
That part of the floor on the '04 on models has an additional plate tack welded in on the inside. Where his is rusty, that is the seam where the additional internal plate ends. This plate has 4 captive studs on it and on some GTs they bolt a big stiffening plate to it off the front subframe and all the way down the N/S of the car. Its a big rust trap under that additional plate.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought i was going mad, There's definately a 2nd plate behind ..

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's too late now, but I'm thinking isn't that very preventable? Like wirebrush the whole floor and the POR-15 it or something.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's too late now, but I'm thinking isn't that very preventable? Like wirebrush the whole floor and the POR-15 it or something.
I usually brush grease & oil mix underneath but people arent like you and i ..

·
Registered
300 Posts
I usually brush grease & oil mix underneath but people arent like you and i ..
If I find a nice 156 that isn't rusted underneath, it'll probably be my first job. Get the underneath coated as well as the wheelwells. Especially with the insane amount of salt filled snow slush we get here during the winter. I've got the basic tools, just need to buy the product really.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
You need to lift the seats & carpets and do the inside too. The underlay unfortunately gets damp due to the drain flaps, water ingress, or whatever reason, once it gets damp it never fully dries out in my experience.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
If you just want a mot and another 12 months then it really is an easy fix. Doing it properly is a different matter. Once you start chasing the rust you will more than likely find it everywhere! Ignorance is bliss.
Shame really as the body work you can see is generally very tidy on most 156s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts