Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Having taken delivery on a 1.9 159 Ti y/day was wondering what's the latest thinking is on running in ?

Is it granny style for 1K, drive it like you've stole it, normal but under 3K revs or anything goes ?

tia,
Mike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the days of "running in" are long gone, Every new car I have bought I have just driven normally from day one and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The dealer told me the engine is pre run in these days - but the rest of the systems on the car need to bed in. Don't know if he was right tho

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yeah not really necessary nowadays.

And if something is going to break you may as well find out about it so you can take it back ASAP:lol:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I understand that engines are ok to go from factory but I would still treat it with respect myself.

I would stick to under 3k revs for first 1k miles, this willl difficult though as the turbo punch will whip the revs up. My wife bought a new Grande Punto 1.2 Petrol last year - I kept it under 4k revs for first 1k miles, I doubt that she paid much atttention though! :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Just drive it normally. No 2nd gear 4,000rpm drop-clutch launches, but there's no need to molly-coddle it either.. Drive it normally, use a wide range of throttle positions and a good portion of the rev range. Once past 500 miles it should be good for 4.5k rpm.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I'd still take it easy for the first 1k and then gradually build the revs up after that. Don't let the engine labour either. Paid dividends with my 2.2.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i agree with the majority here, I've always run my cars in for the first 1000 miles, nothing too drastic just things like not reving too high or braking too hard. Over the years we've often bought our cars in pairs and mine always seems to be the quietest and has the least problems further down the road.
I shall definitely be running my new one in once it arrives then ...... whoohoo let the fun begin :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
When i bought my first Alfa (1.6 twinny 147) i asked the salesman about running in he told me to thrash the knackers off it asap :) i did (much to the annoyance of the other half) and ive been addicted to Alfa's ever since :lol:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agree with much of what’s already been said in so much as just take it easy for a while because the engines and gearboxes are initially quite tight and don’t fully loosen up for several thousands of miles.

One thing I did that according to modern thinking isn’t needed was to do an oil and filter change after 5K. My reasoning is that with a tight engine, there’s bound to be a higher wear rate and that metal has to go somewhere. Ok it cost me about £70 but small price to pay even if only for peace of mind but I doubt many would do this especially those with a contract hire jobbie.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a 100 miles today of mixed driving including a couple of very steep climbs that probably didn't do the engine any favours, however never ragged it just a couple of overtaking moves up to about 4k revs.....one thing i didn't like was the economy for the run.....37.8mpg :eek: ...now that's pants and hope it's down to the engine being so new still.

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
It will get better. Surely you knew the fuel economy was going to be a lot worse than your old GT though?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Run a car in fast, is my opinion, but only when engine and gearbox oil are at normal HOT running temperatures. It hones the cylinder walls in nicely:) It is like the brakes, mollycoddle them and they squeal for the rest of their life...hit them hard and they bed in nicely.
I ran a new MKII GTI golf in this way, as my racing driver friend told me to, and it went like a bomb all its life...
Mollycoddling a car makes it always go slow! Have you ever bought a car from a granny and wondered why it felt underpowered?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will get better. Surely you knew the fuel economy was going to be a lot worse than your old GT though?
Well I was hoping to get away with a 10% reduction....could be as much as 20-25% for the sort of driving I do in the main(town driving and short commutes).....the car is very heavy compared to the GT (or it feels it) and this will not help the economy but i'll not loose sleep over a few extra quid on fuel when the car looks and drives this good. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Run a car in fast, is my opinion, but only when engine and gearbox oil are at normal HOT running temperatures. It hones the cylinder walls in nicely:) It is like the brakes, mollycoddle them and they squeal for the rest of their life...hit them hard and they bed in nicely.
I ran a new MKII GTI golf in this way, as my racing driver friend told me to, and it went like a bomb all its life...
Mollycoddling a car makes it always go slow! Have you ever bought a car from a granny and wondered why it felt underpowered?
When I bought my ten year old diesel Mondeo with 142k on the clock it wouldn't rev over about 3,000rpm. I did 10k in it and now it pulls to the red-line :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Well I was hoping to get away with a 10% reduction....could be as much as 20-25% for the sort of driving I do in the main(town driving and short commutes).....the car is very heavy compared to the GT (or it feels it) and this will not help the economy but i'll not loose sleep over a few extra quid on fuel when the car looks and drives this good. :thumbs:
I wouldn't worry about it either. Don't forget at least part of the extra fuel you are using is to ensure your exhaust emissions are much cleaner and smoke free.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't worry about it either. Don't forget at least part of the extra fuel you are using is to ensure your exhaust emissions are much cleaner and smoke free.
That's a massive relief - I was feeling so guilty about the huge part I was playing in destroying the planet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

......load of gonads and an easy tax generator for the govt :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts