Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone just picked up my mito 1.4 turbo veloce today and the dealer told me it doesnt need running in and that if i drive it slow from the start the management system will not get used to it being driven fast later so i should just drive as i normally do. anyone else been told this:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Glad you brought this up Skellster as I get mine on Monday as the leasing guy will just drop it off, tell me nothing and bugger off, so advice on this would be helpful

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I would always run in the engine with low and varied revs for the first 500kms then gradually increase the revs.

It should be possible to reset the ECU the same as with any other Alfa once its been run in and then just drive it in typical Italian fashion although I doubt even this reset is required............has worked for my cars :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
my 2p
for the first 500
Try not to rev at no more that 1/2 of max but hey if you go past it by mistake a few time no worries
Deffo no extended morway driving where you are at a constant rpm for a long time. Keep to routes where you have gear changes and stop starts etc.,
ECU will re-adapt when you change your driving style after run in

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Totally agree with that, also here many cars get first oil and filter change after the first 1000kms but I dont think Alfa do that

·
Registered
179 Posts
Totally agree with that, also here many cars get first oil and filter change after the first 1000kms but I dont think Alfa do that
Oops forgot about that. Nice one :thumbs:

Dunno what Alfo Romeo recommend but I'd deffo do an oil & filter change after 500-1000. Don't fancy all the bits of cr4p sloshing about for a year.

Anyone know what is the recommended type & grade is?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Running in is for the piston rings to bed in properly. Nothing to do with the ECU, it learns, and can re-learn. As said, no keeping it at constant revs for prolong periods as the rings won't bed in properly. Ideally you want lots of foot to the floor, high gear, not exceeding 3000rpm for the first 500 miles and then increasing it gradually. This will build heat cycles into the rings.

I think it's wrong for a manufacturer to tell you to drive it normally, as it's not good to redline the life out of a spanking new "tight" engine. But hey, at least it's still under warranty.

I'd recommend a low quality mineral oil for the first 100 miles, then switch to your normal oil after 500 miles, then another oil change at 1000 and your good to go.

It must be noted that this is what I have been taught and MY personal opinion on running in (mostly of high performance engines) and that people have different views on the matter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
"I'd recommend a low quality mineral oil for the first 100 miles, then switch to your normal oil after 500 miles, then another oil change at 1000 and your good to go. "

Probably very good advice mate, however my problem MA is Im leasing my Mito and I dont think the leasing companies really give a toss. But I dont want to waste the engine. There is no chance theyre going to agree to an oil change before the first service is due.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Probably very good advice mate, however my problem MA is Im leasing my Mito and I dont think the leasing companies really give a toss. But I dont want to waste the engine. There is no chance theyre going to agree to an oil change before the first service is due.
Okay no worries. By not doing this you're not going to kill the engine or anything, it just hleps with the running in process. All of what I said imo is an "ideal" for maximum achievable power and torque with minimum oil consumption and cylinder leakage. On your average road-going car, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
mine said no need to run in just drive it normally, when I said some folk suggested worming it up then driving it like you stole it his response was that will do it no harm at all then went on to tell me how a pair of 147s they had varried greatly in power ant d the one driven hard from new performed much better and used a lot less oil

·
Registered
55 Posts
mine said no need to run in just drive it normally, when I said some folk suggested worming it up then driving it like you stole it his response was that will do it no harm at all then went on to tell me how a pair of 147s they had varried greatly in power ant d the one driven hard from new performed much better and used a lot less oil
Your dealer? How long has he been building engines for? For a start you won't get a great variation in power from different ways of running in. Variation yes, but not "greatly". I thought you lot knew dealer's know the square root of eff all ;)

The thing that concerns me here is that this is a turbocharged engine, and one in which you can't limit the boost for running in at that. This is why (imo) you should go easy on the revs.

These modern engines, though, do seem to be very forgiving and an engine really depends more on being well built than running in for longevity. Thrashing the hell out of and turbo engine in your first 500 miles is asking for trouble though methinks.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
oh well i am nearly up to the 1000 now and I have driven normally with some spirited bursts so I think all will be well......i will treat MiTo to an ealry oil change as I did on my last new motor as I think it cant do any harm and any rubbishy bits of metal will be flushed out too

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Coming from somebody that thinks an engine will lose 20bhp in a year, sound advice that :wow:

haha:cheese:

my garage told me to drive at half the max for the 1st 500 miles, then bring it in, we wil change the oil, and then you can drive normally,but stay off constant speeds until at least 1k:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts