Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please.

My wife's 2001 2.0TS 156 is showing the yellow engine shape warning light.

She called me this morning to say that the engine had been running hot in traffic - well over the 90. I drove it this evening and nothing seemed wrong running about 70. I then got in to drive it home and the warning light is on and the temp never went above 50 in 10 mile dual carriageway journey.

I tried disconnecting the two main electrical connectors under the bonnet as this approach cleared the light on previous Alfas (original suggestion was from RAC man when we had variator problems) but this time the light hasn't cleared.

The car had an Alfa diagonstic check on Monday when a new key was coded and no faults reported then.

Could this be a failing MAF or a faulty thermostat?

Help please.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'd hazzard a guess that the radiator fan's not coming on... The usual cause for this is a faulty resistor pack that's built into it...

If the engine light is on, a fault will have been recorded in the ECU that can be read with a diagnostics check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd hazzard a guess that the radiator fan's not coming on... The usual cause for this is a faulty resistor pack that's built into it...

If the engine light is on, a fault will have been recorded in the ECU that can be read with a diagnostics check.
Do you have one from the car you are breaking?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
you have TWO problems:

1. on the open road the ca ris running at 50 deg C ==> theromstat is defective & needs replacing

2. when in slow moving traffic, in around town there is very little air flow so it requires the fan to operate correctly in orde rto keep engine cool.

IMHO you have either one or more of the following is wrong:

* blocked engine coolant rad
* low speed resistor is burnt out.

to test:

* open bonnet
* car in neutral, start engine & let it idle
* remove the temp sensor connector

after 5sec's the low speed function should work

after another 5 sec's the hIGH speed should operate

if only ONE speed operates then the resistor or the connections to the resistor or the relay/wiring of the relays bas eis defective.

the resistor is located at the TOp f the rad, near the batter/intake pipe

if the fans Do work at both speeds then either the rad or possibly [ but unblikely in a TS ] the water pump is defective

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sears thanks, I will test this out at the weekend and report back.
Mark

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes if the car is running at well below 90 then you probably need a new thermostat.

One other thought about overheating in traffic. Sometimes people ride the clutch when driving slowly and that can cause overheating. It also could be that the radiator needs replacing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other thought about overheating in traffic. Sometimes people ride the clutch when driving slowly and that can cause overheating. It also could be that the radiator needs replacing.
Good point - she cooked a Volvo clutch on the same bit of road - although there is no smell of burning friction material this time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I have the resistor pack. It's not in A1 condition, but I know it works.

I have a nearly-new thermostat as well, should you need one :thumbs:
Iain thanks I will check things out tomorrow.

The good news is that the warning light has gone out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right I did Sears test.

With the temp sensor disconnected the fan works at both speeds. With the sensor connected the fan doesn't come on and the car gets hot (could be intermittent as the fan did come on on Friday). The engine warning light hasn't come back on.

Does this sound like a faulty temp sensor?

What should I change? Thermostat? Sensor? Resistor?

Under pressure now from my wife - "the car's a dud, let's get rid of it!" - she loved it until Thursday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts